Strange gearshift setup...and Hi! - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old November 14th, 2014, 12:35 PM
1985 Defender 110 3.5 V8
Originally Posted by psykokid View Post
As said earlier the R380 they used is a disco gearbox. They rotated the gaiter 180 degrees from where it should be oriented in a defender. The gearshift/transfer case levers are reversed between the two different top housings. You will need to get a R380 Defender top housing and this bit from ashcroft if you want the shifter to be as it should in a defender. That's the easy method.. the hard method still involves sourcing a defender top housing and then you have to strip the gearbox to bits and replace some odds and sods..
Thanks, that appears to be dead on. It works great...I was just trying to figure out a solution to replace the jenky gaiter arrangement. I'll probably end up getting a custom gaiter made and calling it a day.

------ Follow up post added November 14th, 2014 09:40 AM ------

Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
this is the last thing i would fix on any truck. it fits, it looks ok, works fine, only a few people care. there are so many other potential problems of far greater consequence on a truck.
That's the doesn't look ok. Sort of detracts from what is otherwise a pretty good condition 110 that is LHD & has a V8. Granted there is a bunch of "undoing" that needs to happen, but I have seen a lot worse.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions