Defender Source Forum banner

strange electrical problem with lights

951 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Cirbo 
#1 ·
I've got a peculiar malfunction with the lights on my 1997 NAS D90 (hardtop). On a recent 600-mile long roadtrip, the headlights abruptly cut out. The headlights would not work on the regular or sustained high beam position of the switch, but strangely the high beams worked when the switch was pulled towards you (i.e. the temporary position used to flash high beams briefly but not for sustained use). Holding the switch in this position is what allowed me to continue driving another 180 miles in the dark (my apologies to anyone driving on 64 East in West Virginia a week ago who had to endure my high beams...).

Initially, it was only the headlamps which stopped working (dashboard, running lights, turn signals, tail-lights, and brakelights all working fine). After about 100 more miles in this condition, the dashboard lights, running lights and tail-lights stopped working also. The brakelights and turn signals remain functional (thankfully, which allows me to still drive it in daylight).

One more piece to the puzzle: I had installed a wiring kit to pull a trailer just prior to leaving on this roadtrip. I had never used the wiring plug before, but it seemed to work fine when I hooked it up to the trailer. The wiring kit is the standard one that is sold by Atlantic British to convert the seven prong plug near the tail-lights into a four prong plug (which most domestic trailers are compatible with). Disconnecting the trailer did not change the function of any of the lights.

Any help with this mess is appreciated!

Thanks,
Dan

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.