Strange brake controller issues - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 12th, 2014, 03:02 PM
sro
Sam Odio
2008 LR2

Registry
Strange brake controller issues

I recently installed a brake controller. I hooked it into what I believe to be the brake switch near the brake housing.

It measured 12V when the brakes were pressed and 0V when the brakes were off. Disconnecting the switch disabled the brake lights.

However now, when the vehicle is off, if I press the trailer brake button on the controller the following strange behavior happens:

- Brake controller outputs 12V to the brake line that the switch is connected to (expected)
- Brake lights don't come on
- Instead, dash lights come on (as if I had turned the ignition).

Am I doing something wrong? Did I wire this brake controller to the wrong place? If you've installed a brake controller, where did you wire the brake switch input/output line to?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 12th, 2014, 08:28 PM
2411D90
Bob Vogler
1995 D90 Fastback ST (Beluga Black)

I don't know if you're talking about an LR2 or Defender, but on a '95 D90 the "cold side" wire from the brake switch, which you need to splice into, is purple/green striped. The hot side wire into the switch is solid green.
Old January 13th, 2014, 10:17 AM
michael67
Michael White
110 Tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by sro View Post
Am I doing something wrong? Did I wire this brake controller to the wrong place? If you've installed a brake controller, where did you wire the brake switch input/output line to?
I used a Prodigy RF, so no brake wire needed. However, can't you tap directly into the brake light wire? It'd be a lot shorter run than from clear up under the hood. The brake light wire should be one of the wires into your five-to-four converter you mentioned in your other post.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 13th, 2014, 10:27 AM
aka rover
ed angel
95 D90

Registry
Do your brake lights work with key off when you depress the pedal ? If not then the brake controller is back feeding the power to the dash while key off. Probably no big deal since you don't drive around with key off :-) .

If your brake lights do work with key off and this is happening , then I would be concerned .
67 NADA diesel tremec 4spd salisbury rear springs on front and a LOT MORE TO GO.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old January 14th, 2014, 01:16 AM
sro
Sam Odio
2008 LR2

Registry
I'm pretty sure I wired into the wrong side of the brake light switch. Brake lights don't come on. I'll have to re-wire sometime this week.

Michael - I keep my brake controller in the dash so it's a pretty short wire to the brake light switch.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
brake