Stop the rattling!!! - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 5th, 2011, 11:29 AM
mattwhite
Matt White
94 D-90

Stop the rattling!!!

Ok so it's probably impossible to stop all of the rattles and annoying noises coming from my 90. But a couple of months ago I rebuild the rear tire carrier on my soft top and I thought I'd share some of the tricks I did to end persistent problems with the carrier design.

After I stripped the tire carrier off the first thing I noticed was the rear door had a considerable amount of play in it. It appeared the hinges were quite loose. In case you never took apart a "safari style hinge" the first picture shows the ball that is sandwiched between the upper and lower half of the hinge. You can buy rebuild kits from rds or rn for $5 but I notice the reason for the slop in the hinge is the diameter of the through hole of the ball is much larger than the bolt.

So I decided to make my own rebuild it and I ordered these delrin balls from mcmaster.
http://www.mcmaster.com/#plastics/=esvqsx
I reasoned the delrin would transfer less vibration than the brass. I drilled a .25" hole through the ball. You could reuse the m6 hardware, but mine was bent so I got countersunk aluminum bolts and lock nuts and just reused the spring. So far the door is super smooth and has zero up and down play in it. It thus eliminated any rattling coming from the door.

On the tire carrier I found the same thing, the through hole in the bushings allowed for greater slop between it and the bolt than I thought was necessary. So I decided to try and modify a slightly larger inch sized bushing to fit the metric dimensions of the carrier. Again i went with delrin because in addition to less vibration, it is also self lubricating so it eliminates the need for grease.
I got 8 of these bushings from mcmaster:
http://www.mcmaster.com/#2705t36/=esw33h
After I got them, i found out the only thing that needs to be modified to fit the carrier was the OD needed to be turned down to about 22mm like the stock brass bushings. The bolts fit perfectly in the bushings and completely eliminated slop.

Results:
After a rainy summer here in florida, the door and tire carrier do not rattle at all, they open smooth with no noise, and there is no grease/dirt mixture caked all over the carrier. Winning!

Also the door would not stay open, because the triangle piece that hold the rubber bumper was bent and prevented a good hold. So after the paint was striped I welded a plate in there to reenforce it. Oh and I put a dimple die in it so i could be cool like all the desert racers in socal.

Matt
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1006.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	43407   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1003.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	43408  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0996.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	43409  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 5th, 2011, 11:39 AM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
1984 D90 300 Tdi / 1965 Series IIA
Site Team

Registry
Nice! Delrin is amazing stuff.

But why you hating on us SoCal guys and our dimpled metal?
Old November 5th, 2011, 12:03 PM
mattwhite
Matt White
94 D-90

Sorry, not hating just trying to let out my own frustrations of being stuck in Florida.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 5th, 2011, 12:14 PM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
1984 D90 300 Tdi / 1965 Series IIA
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattwhite View Post
Sorry, not hating just trying to let out my own frustrations of being stuck in Florida.

If I was stuck in Florida I would be frustrated too!

I am going to take a look at my Series hinges, they have the wobble problem and I bet this will fix it!
Old November 5th, 2011, 04:14 PM
James Pierce
James Pierce Jr.
1995 D90 SW #314, 59 SII 88 HT

Great idea. Let us know what the life span of the delrin is in comparison to the brass.

I would have to argue that the bolt passing though the center of the ball plays no part in the swinging / pivoting action of the hinge. The looseness that you mention has no affect on the tightness of the hinge. The hinge pivots on the outside of the ball and the bolt and spring merely apply tension to the outside of the cups to keep things from coming apart.

Not trying to bash the idea just looking at all angles. I still think if the delrin holds up its a good idea.

On the tire carrier though it does pivot on the bolt so that would make sense.
Old November 8th, 2011, 10:44 AM
mattwhite
Matt White
94 D-90

The life span of the delrin was a concern of mine for the balls in the door hinge. But it was $8 for a pack of 25 so as soon as the door starts to get loose or make noise I can swap in new ones. I think the delrin in the tire rack hinges is not much of a concern. If desert guys run delrin in suspension joints, I figured it would hold up for me.

I definitely agree with you on the design intent of the hinge. I assumed my spring was worn out and possibly a rebuild kit would solve the problem. But I didn't want to risk ordering something that may or may not be better than what I thought may solve the problem. So in the end the door doesn't rattle, and thats all that matters to me.

Matt
Old October 10th, 2013, 11:39 AM
MonLand
Loic Fabro
95 D90 - 96 Disco -06 LR3

Registry
Any update to share on life expectancy of both the bushings and the balls?

Thanks,
Loic.
it is not hoarding it is selective collecting
---
MonLand
1995 D90 NAS
1996 Discovery NAS
2006 LR3 NAS (hers, but comfy! :) )
Old July 13th, 2015, 12:55 PM
mattarm
Matt
1993 D110

Any word on longevity of bushings? BTW, any tips for getting the old bushing out? Mine don't want to move at all.
Old July 13th, 2015, 01:28 PM
bennett
Bennett
'97 Defender 90 Soft Top #1140

Registry
hit the metal with a torch then use a slide hammer. Otherwise, you can sort of drill them out, but it isn't ideal. coat the new ones in anti-seize before installing, and it helps to freeze the bushings and bolts before you drop them in
Old July 13th, 2015, 06:26 PM
mattwhite
Matt White
94 D-90

I actually forgot I even had them in there. So, yes, I guess I haven't had any issues with them and no rattles from the tire carrier.

One nice thing is I've never greased them. Therefore I don't have a grease/dirt mixture coating all the hinge points on the carrier.

I think I drilled/cut one side out then beat the other side out. I do remember they didn't come out easy.
Old April 8th, 2016, 01:59 PM
Rufus
Rufus
1994 NAS D90 ST #1118

Registry
Old thread, but a good one. I am in the middle of this NAS 90 rear tire carrier rebuild project.

Like others, I am having a lot of trouble getting the old bushings out. I have tried heat & hammering and they won't budge.

Drilling out isn't working either, the bit is skipping all around (I don't have a drill press).

So... thinking about a Dremel cutting tool that can fit inside the bushing.

D90 Yahoo Group member since 2001
Old April 24th, 2016, 06:03 AM
mattarm
Matt
1993 D110

Took mine to a machine shop. They pressed them right out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old April 26th, 2016, 10:56 PM
Rufus
Rufus
1994 NAS D90 ST #1118

Registry
Good idea - I just don't have a machine shop near me. So I'm still trying to figure out a DIY meathod..

Still thinking of how to cut them out with a Dremel tool

D90 Yahoo Group member since 2001

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions