Stock Versus Built - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 2nd, 2009, 04:48 PM
Lriwater
Chuck Niskey
1994 D-90

Stock Versus Built

Hello,
I'm a newb... I have tried searching. All I found were threads saying that D90 is a much better choice than the Rubicon. I know that already!

What do you folks think about getting a stock D-90 that hasn't been offroaded, needing lots of $$$ for upgrades (lockers, tires, bumpers, lift, etc), versus getting a totally built D90 that has been thrashed a bit? Considering the same price for both trucks, which is the best value in your opinions?

Cheers,
Chuck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 2nd, 2009, 05:57 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

If you are going to off-road it, buy one already built up... Just make sure it is set up as close to the way you want it, so you don't have to re-do a bunch of stuff. Then you would end up wasting more money. Also, make sure that it is has been set up correctly, with good quality components and a good clean installation.

Old January 2nd, 2009, 07:09 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Many trucks I see generally lack the attention to detail I like. I think most people that go the extra mile in the details keep thier trucks. I am sure you can find a "modded" truck that would be a good start, but you might also be inheriting someone elses headache... If you are going to "thrash" it why not just go ahead a buy a beater and save some potential heartache? A 90 can be as good as a Rubi just needs a little help.
Advertisement

Old January 2nd, 2009, 07:22 PM
GYM
Gary
97 SW

For the use you have indicated; buy a truck that already has the off road modifications..
Old January 2nd, 2009, 10:09 PM
Oxcart13
Mark M
D110

I would not automatically assume that a modified truck has been 'thrashed'. Most Defender owners I know have great pride in their trucks and take care of them accordingly. The modified trucks can run more advanced trails without breakage or damage. I say 'most' as there are exceptions. I know of two trucks here in Colorado for sale that are heavily modified (locked up, suspension mods, with 37s and 35s) which have been well taken care of. If your end state is a very capable D90, then no doubt the best value for the money is to get one already modified. HTH. Mark
Old January 3rd, 2009, 02:53 AM
oldscratchggf
nate
95 d90

back in 2005 I bought a truck that was already built up, thinking that way I wouldn't have to take the hit on the accessories. I bought it off somebody who seemed generally well regarded by the community, and who seemed to genuinely know the trucks. Biggest mistake ever. I spent absurd amounts of money fixing what he half assed.

Moral of the story- if the truck has been molested, make sure to take the time to check it out and make sure it was done 100% correctly, or you can end up paying out the ass. Make sure the mod's arn't too half assed or home brewed. Make sure gearing and suspension is well thought out, make sure everything was modified safely. Make sure, if they tapped into the wiring harness, it was done correctly.
Old January 3rd, 2009, 07:33 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldscratchggf
back in 2005 I bought a truck that was already built up, thinking that way I wouldn't have to take the hit on the accessories. I bought it off somebody who seemed generally well regarded by the community, and who seemed to genuinely know the trucks. Biggest mistake ever. I spent absurd amounts of money fixing what he half assed.

Moral of the story- if the truck has been molested, make sure to take the time to check it out and make sure it was done 100% correctly, or you can end up paying out the ass. Make sure the mod's arn't too half assed or home brewed. Make sure gearing and suspension is well thought out, make sure everything was modified safely. Make sure, if they tapped into the wiring harness, it was done correctly.

What I was getting at
Old January 3rd, 2009, 09:30 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

There is a line between modded and trashed. Having gone down the modded and trashed roads, I now like stock and rust free.

This is probably different on the west coast (but maybe not). For me I can go most places I want to go in a bone stock truck (even an LWB with non-MT tires) and can go pretty much everywhere with lockers and MTs and maybe a mild lift. Beyond that you really start trading off on road performance which is what I really like.
Old January 3rd, 2009, 12:31 PM
Lriwater
Chuck Niskey
1994 D-90

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij
There is a line between modded and trashed. Having gone down the modded and trashed roads, I now like stock and rust free.

This is probably different on the west coast (but maybe not). For me I can go most places I want to go in a bone stock truck (even an LWB with non-MT tires) and can go pretty much everywhere with lockers and MTs and maybe a mild lift. Beyond that you really start trading off on road performance which is what I really like.
Thanks for all of the comments. I like the above response that pretty much sums up most of your responses. Lockers, wench, skids, sliders, & Muds are a must for me, but beyond that can get to be overkill. What brought up my original post was this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...%3AIT&viewitem=

which seems to be quite a rig. However, to me, the 36" tires kind of takes it out of the "daily driver / expedition" type vehicle that I am looking for.

I like this one, too:

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...eferrerid=4724

However, I would like a manual transmission (just for the fun factor), unless there is a good reason not to have one.

Many thanks,
Chuck
Old January 3rd, 2009, 12:32 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Whats your budget?

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old January 3rd, 2009, 12:41 PM
Lriwater
Chuck Niskey
1994 D-90

Somewhere in the mid to upper 20's depending on condition and mods.
Cheers,
Chuck

Follow-up Post:

Also, my definition of "daily driver" is much different than most. I don't care how bumpy, noisy, leaky, poor fuel efficiency, etc. However, I do like the on road manners like ingress / egress, some kind of acceleration, okay steering, etc. (hard to describe I guess).
Old January 3rd, 2009, 12:42 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Get a built up one. A nice clean stock one and mods are going to go over budget probably. You can have mine for 40k

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old January 26th, 2009, 02:18 PM
Lriwater
Chuck Niskey
1994 D-90

Well, I pulled the trigger over the weekend and bought this:

I guess I went with the "built" option. A little over built, actually... But, I love the thing. I drove it from Minneapolis to Virginia over the weekend. Man, it was frickin' cold up there. Now, I have a full appreciation of the differences between the soft top and the hard top (I still like the soft top, though).

I'll post a new thread with some NEWB questions.
Cheers and thanks for all of your input.
Chuck
Old January 26th, 2009, 02:26 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

That is a really nice truck... esp. with the under drive and lockers. I would add the other two lights in the mix to complete the look.

Old January 26th, 2009, 02:50 PM
landrovered
S. Smith
72 Series III 109 Diesel

Drooooool.
Old January 26th, 2009, 03:25 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

"No corners cut, no cost spared"

...except for a crappy Rovers North knock-off of a Badger Coachworks top that's already busting seams. Wonder what other corners he cut...
Old January 26th, 2009, 05:32 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell

...except for a crappy Rovers North knock-off of a Badger Coachworks top that's already busting seams. Wonder what other corners he cut...
Now, now, now, let's be nice. Buying a POS top doesn't mean he cut corners. He just put $$ in the right places. It looks like a sweet rig and congrats - welcome to the club!

Semper Fi!
Old January 26th, 2009, 07:56 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Sweet. Welcome, and let us know when you want to go wheeling.

charles
Old January 27th, 2009, 08:10 AM
LRNAD90
Scott T
1995 Defender 90 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater
Well, I pulled the trigger over the weekend and bought this:

I guess I went with the "built" option. A little over built, actually... But, I love the thing. I drove it from Minneapolis to Virginia over the weekend. Man, it was frickin' cold up there. Now, I have a full appreciation of the differences between the soft top and the hard top (I still like the soft top, though).

I'll post a new thread with some NEWB questions.
Cheers and thanks for all of your input.
Chuck
Welcome Chuck! I'm sure you are just giddy with the new toy, congratulations! I wanted to ask though, does it have a three link front suspension? There is no mention in the e-bay listing's details, but it mentions a SG heavy duty cross member, and RoverTym Offset radius arms, which seem contradictory (since there is no need for the HD cross member without a three link, and no radius arms with a three link).

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell

Listing says it is a stock Bestop (and it looks like it to me), mentions a Rovers North Surrey top though. Are they knockoffs of Badger's products too?

Old January 27th, 2009, 02:56 PM
Lriwater
Chuck Niskey
1994 D-90

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepeytr
I wanted to ask though, does it have a three link front suspension? There is no mention in the e-bay listing's details, but it mentions a SG heavy duty cross member, and RoverTym Offset radius arms, which seem contradictory (since there is no need for the HD cross member without a three link, and no radius arms with a three link).
Well, I am learning about this truck as I go, but the general idea of it from the guy that built it (Eric) is that the heavy duty cross member is stronger and sits a little higher in the truck.
The radius arms are Rovertym heavy duty castor corrected radius arms. They bring the castor back into spec after lifting the truck and extend the front end a little to make room for larger tires.

The truck seems to run great and everything SEEMS to work (for now...). I'm sure that will change... Along those lines, is there a good source for a Field Service Manual (shop manual)?

Cheers.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions