Stock ST Tire Carrier - Beware - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 3rd, 2012, 06:12 PM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

Stock ST Tire Carrier - Beware

O.k. promised my wife I would post this. 2 years ago on our aniversary, my wife decided to shut the ST tailgate door from the inside. What she did not realize is that she put her thumb right on the stopper that is bolted to the passengers side of the tailgate. Subsequently she smashed her thumb and nailbed between the carrier and the tailgate stopper. Went to the ER for stitches in thumbnail bed. It healed nicely thank goodness but that woman can handle some pain!

Please keep in mind if you have kids or a spouse that may not be used to the truck that this is a serious pinch point.

------ Follow up post added October 3rd, 2012 06:21 PM ------

Also - if anyone knows of any other significant pinch points/hazards please post (other than the normal one that comes with loosening bolt that you decide to put your face between your hand on the wrench/bolt and the ground so that you knock yourself silly when the wrench slips or the bolt gives way. I won't admit that I have accidental hit myself in the jewels when a wrench or other tool gave way. Darwin. I have torn many a short pocket while exiting my 90 on the door catch. DAH!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 3rd, 2012, 06:39 PM
JohnsD90
John
74 SIII 88", 88 110, 91 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDeWan View Post
I have torn many a short pocket while exiting my 90 on the door catch. DAH!!!
This, and it happened on the Series 3 as well.

I would add that if you have the wheel on the hood, probably best to remove it if you will be in there for longer periods of time, or atleast check to make sure the support is in working order.
Old October 3rd, 2012, 06:55 PM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnsD90 View Post
This, and it happened on the Series 3 as well.

I would add that if you have the wheel on the hood, probably best to remove it if you will be in there for longer periods of time, or atleast check to make sure the support is in working order.

I could definitely see the support giving way as the hard plastic bushings on the 90 hinge sometimes crack.

O...
1. hitting your funny bone on the door sill right below the B pillar. This is not a pleasant feeling neither on your own funny bone or on my ears when the wife says she hates my truck!
2. bumping your head on the A to B support above the door upon entry.
3. or having the fu*kin^ soft top window slide back on your hand, face.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 4th, 2012, 01:00 AM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

I have done this once. My wife and I had just driven into Aspen for the day when I smashed one of my fingers in that thing. It was the most intense pain I've ever felt; it was so bad that I threw up immediately. I'm very, very skittish around the tire carrier now.
Old October 4th, 2012, 01:15 AM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

Chris,
My wife went white, not to mention the blood everywhere.
Old October 4th, 2012, 12:13 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

I was thinking about it this morning and I think I smashed my finger on the bumpstop that's bumped when you open the tailgate. So, be aware of where your hand is when you open it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
carrier, tire, tire carrier