Stock Muffler ? FlowMaster ? Others ? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 30th, 2004, 12:33 PM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

Stock Muffler ? FlowMaster ? Others ?

Ok, so I’ve done some research on this so I’m not just ‘blindly’ asking for someone to fix my problem, and not a ‘can I import a Defender into the US’ type of question AGAIN… haha.

Anyway, after getting my new GoodYear MTR’s on the truck late last week and taking them out for a ‘test’ in the local Appalachicola Forest, I really saw what a difference they were from my ‘old style’ BFG MT’s of 4 varying tread lengths. Totally amazing… to say the least.

Well on the way home yesterday, my tailpipe disconnected itself from the end of the muffler right on the outside of the ‘clamps’ that hold the tailpipe on. The tailpipe kind of corroded and just broke off. I’m thinking I can just have a muffler shop weld a piece to hold it on but I’m also wondering if the muffler is bad.

I did some research on replacement mufflers and aside from the ‘stock’ one, which is probably well overpriced, I notice that a lot of D90 owners opt for the Flowmaster, for a more ‘aggressive’ sound. Well, I’m not so much into the more ‘aggressive’ sound regardless of HP gains, sounding cool, etc… I like the sewing machine, low-end sound and was wondering if there are any replacement mufflers that sound ‘STOCK’. ???

Or am I just going to have to suffer and pay the $$$ to get the stock muffler if I want that stock sound ???

Any help is appreciated.

Nicholas Orros

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 30th, 2004, 12:42 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Hmm, I don't know about the stock sound or what other then stock muffler would reproduce it. You could just ask the guys at a muffler shop if they can order a generic muffler to replace the one you have. Does anyone know if the NRPs sound stock?
Old May 30th, 2004, 12:55 PM
javelinadave
-
-

I went to a hotrod show last night. A lot of the rods had Flowmasters on them and they sounded real sweeeeeeet! I loike the "ticking" sound they make. I know if you look at a flowmaster ads they claim to increase HP. I think that a FM muffler is in my D-90's future.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 30th, 2004, 01:06 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
There are differnet models of the FLowmasters. I think the delta flows are a little quieter than the regular. the 40 series is loudest. I think HP increases would be negligible. flowmaster 50 series delta wouldnt be over bearing I dont think. you can play sound clips off the flowmaster website of the different mufflers.
Old May 30th, 2004, 01:08 PM
sherpamike
Mike Doligalski
'95 D90 ST

Registry
One of the POs of my truck had a borla system put on. It sounds really nice. It is not loud, but I think it has just a little more rumble than a stock exhaust. Plus it has a really cool tailpipe that is tucked up almost inside the rear wheelwell. I can shoot you a picture if you would like. Just thought I would through in my .02.

-Mike
Old May 30th, 2004, 02:15 PM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

Thanks fella's...

I've been hearing some pretty good things about the Borla, maybe I'll go that route. I just really don't feel like spending $500+ on this whole thing.
I'm wondering if my muffler is 'ok' and I just need the tail pipe welded back on... ? The muffler looks fine, so I'll see on Tuesday when the shops are open.

Nicholas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old May 30th, 2004, 02:59 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Flowmaster Sounds
Upper right hand corner click on sounds.
Give this a try. See if you find the right sound for your ride.
Old May 30th, 2004, 10:24 PM
chrisconnie
Adam Hairston
97 LE #127/300

Delta Series

I am running the 50 Delta series on an otherwise stock exhaust. A touch louder than stock at speed and a nice rumble at idle. Highly recomended. $150 installed at the local muffler shop.

To check your current muffler just bang on it with your hand. If you hear stuff rattling around inside you can bet it's toast.
Old May 30th, 2004, 11:31 PM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

Thank you all for the responses...

I think I am definitely looking into the Delta FM series... I'd go for a slightly beefier sound..
The reason why I am hesitant in placing a 'high performance' muffler on is the time I had my Jeep redone, and they put a 'cat back' exhaust on it, and yet the performance increase was significant, the sound was immense.

If I can go that route for well under $500 then I'm probably going to do it.

Thanks.. I'm out.. very tired..

Nicholas

Old May 31st, 2004, 09:50 AM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

A little groggy last night during my last post... I left out a few questions:

Since this is Tallahassee, and I'm not sure if there's a decent high performance muffler shop, I may have to order it online... where's the best priced place for FlowMaster's ?

Also, Mike if you could post a pic or just send to my email of your FM and how the tailpipe is tucked under that would be great. I'm curious to see.

And lastly, the expensive Borla/NRP route ... I'm assuming Borla's are the best, and I noticed the tailpipe was pretty slick. Who knows... If Borla's are the best, where is the best place to buy ?

Thanks, and am about to go bang on the muffler to see if it's shot... I think it is.

Nicholas

Old May 31st, 2004, 11:17 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

I think the only reason you would stay away from the NRP is they have been known to rust at the welds, they may have fixed that but I don't know. That being said, I love the Borla! But I do like the FM 40 better; my 90 came with a Borla when I bought it so that’s why it’s on there. I may redo my exhaust system due to the fact it is in the way of some plans of mine (PTO winch). I would sell my slightly bet up Borla for the price it costs to have my system redone, if you’re interested.
Old May 31st, 2004, 07:18 PM
loykd
Ken Loy
1994 Portofino Red ST

summitracing.com
Old May 31st, 2004, 07:51 PM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

hmmm....

Mike,
I appreciate the info and the offer, but I mostly buy new... especially exhausts...

And Ken, thanks for pointing me in the right direction... I did see one at RoverConnection for $549... and another for less than that (this particular one, the website has 2 prices...more to come...)

My thinking is... my tailpipe is shot pretty much, and regardless of whether or not the muffler's shot yet, it really looks bad and would rather just get it over with and get a new system. I looked at the NRP, not bad, but I like the look of the Borla better, and the warranty as well.
I would go the FlowMaster route, but then I'd have to get someone to bend me up a tailpipe and in this town, and stainless on top of that, I trust no one... haha... you wouldn't either. And I'm not one for using a torch.

So, I guess to do it once, do it right, I need to go for the Borla.

Thanks to ALL !!!

Nicholas Orros

Old May 31st, 2004, 08:09 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Nicholas,
I would think that any of these places could cut, bend, and weld stainless exhaust tubing. Most muffler shops do it all day. Good luck.......Dave

Advanced Automotive
1320 Capital Circle Southwest, Tallahassee, FL 32310
(850) 385-2044

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jones Auto Electric and Muffler Service Inc
2609 Springhill Road Suite A, Tallahassee, FL 32305
(850) 576-9437

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jones Complete Exhaust Systems
2609 Springhill Road, Tallahassee, FL 32305
(850) 576-9437
Old May 31st, 2004, 09:38 PM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

Dave,

No Sh$t...lol...

Yeah, I've heard of those places, and was going to call them tomorrow to find out the scoop. I just hate going to places that I haven't heard 'good things' about.

Did you get those address of the internet ? Or are you in Tallahassee ?

OH... and in case I go the 'Borla' route, it says that 'self-installation' is easy without welding... Is this true ? Has anyone done it on their own ?

I guess I can ask them as well about a 'lower sounding' melody than the FlowMaster, etc...

Thanks man...

Nicholas

Old May 31st, 2004, 09:41 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

No welding I think the hardest part will be getting the old rusted stock system off.
Old May 31st, 2004, 09:45 PM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

oh yeah Mike,...

Mike,

I did have a question for you.

(this will help my decision, trust me...)

If you already have a Borla on your D90, and it's stainless and warranted for 1 million miles, then why would you opt for the FlowMaster ?

Better performance ? Are they stainless as well ? Don't like the Borla ?

Your input is appreciated.

Nicholas

Old May 31st, 2004, 09:50 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

It runs under the T-case, the PTO on the t-case will drop right down where the Borla runs. So I would have to either chop up the borla and have some new pipe welded in or I can just remove the Borla all together and start from scratch, and sell the Borla to cover the cost.
Old June 1st, 2004, 02:47 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Borla is nice but LOUD.

Stock is actually the cheapest (tailpipe is 100-125 and muffler is not much more and can be found generically very cheap) and in FL it should last about as long as it takes you to bend up a stainless. NRP has had welds rust out. There is a lifetime warranty but only to the original owner and if you send in the paper work yadda yadda yadda.

So if you are ok with loud go borla and it will be the last you buy ever, otherwise stock is not that bad.

The biggest install issue is cutting off the rusted nuts and pressing out the old studs in the y-pipe and replacing with new.
Old June 1st, 2004, 08:56 AM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

Hmm... The Borla may not be the choice then because now some are saying how loud it is... I wish I could hear a Borla before I purchased.

Oh and Dave... I called those places you listed and none of them do stainless, like I had suspected...
The guy at one place didn't know much as far as aftermarket units go and once I find out they have NO IDEA what kind of truck it is, they're pretty much useless to me at that point.
The other guy, a younger guy who seemed to have a clue... Said that a 'MagnaFlow' was a good choice, and it comes in stainless... a higher performance muffler without the loud sound for daily use as he put it. They don't do stainless tailpipes but use aluminized which I would get about 7-8 years out of according to him.

SO... Does anyone have any experience with MAGNAFLOW ?

Thanks

Nicholas Orros

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
master