Stock A/C to air compressor? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old March 25th, 2007, 12:06 AM
Scott Yates
94 D90 #639, Yellow
Question Stock A/C to air compressor?

I did the search and came up with a couple of question post but no answers or pics.

Has anyone modded the stock A/C compressor to run straight air for inflating tires, etc. Having the compressor and BRACKETS would make this the easiest method.

I know others have used York compressors as they are internally oiled. Any one know who made ours or if they are line oiled or internally oiled? Or is it possible/less than painful, to make-up engine mounts for a York to fit the 3.9 block?

Since I won't be locked for a while this seems a decent mod to do as money comes available. Any info/pics would be highly appreciated.

Some people are like a slinky... not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile
when you shove them down
the stairs.
Old March 25th, 2007, 02:38 AM
David Shechter
97' D90 SW 2.8L diesel
Safari Gard made some bracket or something of the sort at one point. I remember seeing a photo on their website a couple of years ago. I pulled my AC and replaced the compressor with a york as I was told by Kilby enterprises that the Sanden compressors didn't work well for an on board air system. I do not have the LR engine so my set-up would not be applicable for you.

If you are willing to get rid of your AC, you might be able to get a York in there. For me it was a no brainer decision, I get lots of use out of my air system, not only for tires... but using air tools on and off the trail.

Originally Posted by MuddyOval
Sheki, you are a wang too.
A wang is another word for, you guessed it, A DICK!

Nothing racist, just pure DICK!
Old March 25th, 2007, 02:24 PM
Brian Jenkinson
1994 D90
Chris Davis is your man for this. He made his own bracket. I believe he has a post that has some pics. (He uses the York compressor)
Old March 25th, 2007, 09:03 PM
Jesse McCoy
'89 RRC SWB (needs work)
someone on the rangie forum at D-web was discussing this recently...
"Pump one is on for the black Jeep"
"It's not a Jeep"
Old January 9th, 2012, 11:39 AM
aka rover
ed angel
95 D90
Iknow I know its a old thread but figured why start a new one.

Im thinkng about this on my 90 and mounting my power tank to my 109 which will be state side for a few years while I travel around in it.

So is there any way to use the stock AC pump or do I need to get a york?

95 D90 SW 4.6 ARBs 8274 37" BFGs Gigglepin twin motor 8274
94 D90 ST R380 constine green stock
85 D110 3.5 3 DR
67 NADA diesel tremec 4spd salisbury rear springs on front and a LOT MORE TO GO.
Old January 9th, 2012, 12:04 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor
I did a lot of reading on this @ one point. The gist of what I learned was that the rotary type compressors we have won't last long as they need oil vapor on the intake side to survive and aren't nearly as good/efficient as the piston type internally oiled yorks. That said, if you have ever seen one of these systems with a york its impressive. In the end I cheaped out and went co2.
Good judgement comes from experience,experience comes from bad judgement.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Land Rover Shipment and Importation Service
Bespoke Restoration & Modification work
Old January 9th, 2012, 12:23 PM
Vin Loccisano
I run a rotary (stock) AC compressor as an air compressor on my 300tdi powered 110.

Yes, it will not last as long as the oil bath York setups out there.

That said, I've been using it for 10+ years of semi continuous use (everything from airing up on weekends, to running an impact wrench to filling a 27 foot inflatable boat)

My installation is simple, having used an old fire extinguisher as the "tank", an off the shelf oil pressure switch as the control switch to the AC clutch, and running a 1/2 and 3/4 NPT inch tap into the existing compressor fittings. Nothing special, and dead reliable. The compressor does get hot to the touch after running for 30-40 minutes, but if I'm only airing up this is a non-issue.

I can get pictures in a week or so if anyone is interested.

When I change tcase and diff oils (about every 15K miles) I add a few squirts of light weight compressor oil to the AC compressor intake. ( I have seen some folks use an air tool oiler upstream of the compressor inlet to provide a mist of oil to the unit, but I didn't want to deal with "oiled" air in my tires) So far it has worked perfectly. When the compressor dies, I'll bolt on another that is hopefully good for another 10 years.

Much cheaper and many times simpler than getting a york to work.

Old January 15th, 2012, 09:23 AM
95' D90
Old thread, I know, but, I would love to see any pics of this set-up id you have them. Thanks

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions