stock 94 NAS 90 to Def 300 TDI/R-380, will I need new drive shafts? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 8th, 2012, 01:40 PM
lrna04
Michael
1994 D90

Registry
stock 94 NAS 90 to Def 300 TDI/R-380, will I need new drive shafts?

In preparation for an engine and transmission conversion I am trying to determine if I will need new, custom length drive shafts. The donor is a 98 D90 right hand drive with 300 TDI and R-380, basically everything from radiator to e-brake. The recipient is a very early 94 NAS D90, 3.9 with LT-77. I searched the forum with some results but nothing for this specific combination of parts. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 8th, 2012, 02:14 PM
D90user
steve
109/110 ambulance-55 series I

Nope, your t-case should stay in the same place.
Old March 8th, 2012, 03:01 PM
diesel_jim
Jamie Austin
1992 110 Td5 CSW & 1989 MB G-Wagen

Depends on if you install the engine/gearbox in the factory position, or in the position that the LT77 (transfer box) was fitted.

If you go factory, on the 300Tdi crossmember, then yes, you'll need new shafts, and floor plates/transmission tunnel/seatbox (or at least, the "front" of the seatbox to match the tunnel, or the adaptor plate to suit)

If you leave the transferbox in the old position, and weld the engine mounts in the different position then you can keep the stock shafts and floor. trouble is none of the other bits will them match under the bonnet.... intercooler pipes, exhaust, oil cooler etc. (when I say not match, i mean not "factory" match... they can be extended no problem, depends on how original you want it to be)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 9th, 2012, 11:01 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel_jim View Post
Depends on if you install the engine/gearbox in the factory position, or in the position that the LT77 (transfer box) was fitted.

If you go factory, on the 300Tdi crossmember, then yes, you'll need new shafts, and floor plates/transmission tunnel/seatbox (or at least, the "front" of the seatbox to match the tunnel, or the adaptor plate to suit)

If you leave the transferbox in the old position, and weld the engine mounts in the different position then you can keep the stock shafts and floor. trouble is none of the other bits will them match under the bonnet.... intercooler pipes, exhaust, oil cooler etc. (when I say not match, i mean not "factory" match... they can be extended no problem, depends on how original you want it to be)
This is somewhat correct but it should be noted that the LT77 the OP has is likely a long bellhousing V8 version and not the factory LT77/4cylinder setup.

The ideal situation would be to get the gearbox/engine crossmember and driveshafts from the donor vehicle, as well as the engine/trans/transfer box/rad/intercooler/piping/hoses brackets/hood prop/glowplug harness etc etc.

the NAS 90 (regardless of transmission) uses the same floors, tunnel, and seatbox as the 300tdi factory setup.

Or, you can mount the LT230 using the NAS gearbox mounting brackets and keep your NAS driveshafts. I believe there is a minor difference in the position of the drivetrain though I don't know what it is. In fact the 300tdi/NAS V8 shafts may even be the same length. I really don't know. It isn't too hard to put the new drivetrain in and mock up wher eit will sti. If you are happy with it then burn in some engine mounts and move on. Though, using the 300tdi gearbox crossmember will allow a stock 300tdi exhaust to fit better.

What Diesel Jim is referring to is a slighlty different conversion that goes from a factory early LT77/short bellhousing/4cylinder setup. If you hang the 300tdi drivetrain off of those gearbox mounts the engine ends up 1 inch off center to the left and 2 inches further back then stock. I did just that (though I cut and welded the transmission mounts to shift the whole thing back over 1 inch, and moved the radiator back 1 inch to compensate. That enabled me to use all the factory hoses and piping.

Hope that isn't too confusing.
Old March 9th, 2012, 11:26 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
All NAS spec trucks have R380 floors and bulkhead and seat box adapters.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old March 9th, 2012, 04:46 PM
diesel_jim
Jamie Austin
1992 110 Td5 CSW & 1989 MB G-Wagen

Actually, after reading Ren Chings post, i reminded myself that indeed the V8 and 300Tdi shafts are the same (although I only know that the LT85 5 speed V8 gearbox and 300Tdi R380 share the same shafts, i'm not 100% sure about the LT77.... sorry)
Old March 9th, 2012, 05:33 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Short answer: driveshafts are the same length
Old April 3rd, 2012, 09:37 PM
tomaco1
T.mac
83 110

Registry
reviving this

Can I use V8 drive shafts in my 200tdi lt77 90?

Thanks

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
300 tdi, 90, nas, tdi