Still Need A/C Help! - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 26th, 2008, 01:39 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Still Need A/C Help!

In my '94 D-90, my AC stops working once the engine warms up. I bypassed the temp switch on the thermostat housing with a jumper wire, but that does not help the situation. Does anyone have any other ideas? Is there a relay somewhere? Another temp switch?

Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 26th, 2008, 02:07 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
What doesn't work? Does the fan stop blowing, or does it start blowing warm air? Do you hear the compressor clutch disengage or something? Does the AC fan ever come on, or have you tried bypassing it? More info needed!
Old May 26th, 2008, 04:48 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Everything still works except for the cool part. The compressor and fan both still work. When I turn on the AC I can hear the click of the compressor. The really odd thing is that the AC will work fine when the engine is cold.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 26th, 2008, 06:15 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Not sure then. Low freon?

How about the fan out on the front of the ac radiator? Maybe when the engine is hot that is coming on and cutting the compressor off or something? I guess you'd hear the clutch disengage if that was true. I want to say that fan always came on when I turned the ac on though. You could try disconnecting it.

I guess it's possible that if the lines are not properly insulated the heat of the engine could be affecting them, but somehow I don't think that's likely - a quick visual check should rule that out. But maybe if the freon was low it would be affected by the engine bay temps.
Old May 26th, 2008, 06:22 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
The fan on the front of the radiator is turning when the AC is on. I am perplexed, but I think it has got to be low freon. Anyone else have any ideas?

Semper Fi!
Old May 26th, 2008, 10:20 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
As it gets warmer the more of a charge you will need. Thats what the pressure switch is all about- when the ac system gets hot with a low charge, the pressure switch will cut the power to the comp. The switch on the thermostat housing turns the a/c off in the event the engine is over heating. Get some freon in there and don't bypass the pressure switch unless you know you have a couple of pounds of freon in the system, but that may be the problem. I had a bad pressure switch on my Range Rover and bypassed it and the a/c worked great for years.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions