Stiff temp and fan arms - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 14th, 2012, 01:51 PM
wilyliang
Peter
'95 D90 SW #441

Registry
Stiff temp and fan arms

Is this normal? My (left) temperature and vent arms and (right) fan speed arm are all really stiff. Sometimes sliding the fan speed arm all the way up (off) doesn't turn off the fan.

I was going to start opening up the dash, but wondered if anyone has fiddled with the tension on these arms at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 14th, 2012, 01:59 PM
Naplm00
Matthew
1983 110 200tdi 3 door soft top

It is the cables that are making them stiff. Mine were the same way and i eneded up pulling the sides of the dash apart the removing the cables.

Then i stripped off the shitty old cable jacket and removed the solid inner wire and cleaned it. I got a bike cable kit from walmart for 4 bucks and clipped the end of the braided wire and took the new jacket. Sized it against the old one, timmed, then lubed up the old inner solid wire and put it into the new jacket. Refitted and now they are as smooth as silk.

A tedious job but better than buying new cables at 30 or so a pop and the same results.

I didnt do the third cable that goes down into the dash because i was lazy, just the two that go to the heater box
Old March 14th, 2012, 04:24 PM
wilyliang
Peter
'95 D90 SW #441

Registry
Awesome, great feedback. Which parts of the dash need to come off? And which is the third cable that's so hard to get to?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 14th, 2012, 04:49 PM
Naplm00
Matthew
1983 110 200tdi 3 door soft top

Well on mine it was just the sides and the gauge bezel. The sides hold the controls/electrical in place and the bezel covers access to where the cables go. When you take them out just clean up the copper tracks on the controls with some contact cleaner or carb cleaner. Then reroute the cables through the bulkhead with your hand from behind the gauge cluster (bezel).

The third cable controls the footwell/defroster mixture. Up on the lever is windscreen only, middle is a mix and down is feet only. Mine was stiff but moveable so i left it since i didnt want to take the lower dash apart to get to the cable attachment point.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
fan