Sticky Clutch Problem in NAS 90 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 3rd, 2016, 10:16 AM
jyoungjr01
John
95 D90

Sticky Clutch Problem in NAS 90

Guys,

I have a 95 NAS 90 with about 106,000 miles. As of recently, when I press in the clutch to shift the pedal will not come back out as if the spring is bad in the pedal.... I have no trouble changing gears when pressing the pedal but have to pop the pedal back out with my foot to get it to return to the normal position. Any thoughts or suggestions? I have checked the spring and it seems to be fine? Not very mechanical, but learning. Does this have anything to do with clutch fluid? Any help advice much appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 3rd, 2016, 10:20 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
clutch fluid is low. flush it through a few times.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old November 3rd, 2016, 10:48 AM
JackW
Jack Walter
1966 109 SW Diesel

I had a similar problem and after replacing both the master and slave cylinders and the flex line to the slave cylinder I found the pedal pivot shaft was corroded. I replaced the pivot shaft and the pedal bushings and its working like new once again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 3rd, 2016, 12:02 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post
clutch fluid is low. flush it through a few times.
If that doesnt fix if not Jason @ SDO does a master cylinder replacement that is apparently very good.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old November 3rd, 2016, 12:25 PM
chuckc4
chuck b

Definitely start with the basics -- check fluid first. Check your brake fluid too, while you are at it with a fresh bottle of fluid...
Old November 3rd, 2016, 01:23 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
More than likely the pushrod in the Slave Cylinder is "sticking"...and not returning all the way (has happened to me in the past). This *generally* is caused by the sludge from the Master Cylinder flowing downstream to the SC and causing wear there on the cylinder wall.

Flush it out as leastonce suggested...but likely even if it does "fix" it, probably only temporary. I've had nothing but issues with the Rover MC wearing, and if you do end up replacing parts best to do MC & SC at the same time.

If you're looking for a more permanent fix, also as leastonce pointed out the Dorman upgrade is the way to go. I posted a "How To" for DIY folks at the below link, and alternatively we always have them in stock:

DIY: http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...iii-67611.html
SDO Kit: https://www.seriesdefender.com/mecha...-cylinder.html
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old November 4th, 2016, 03:38 PM
Craigd
Craig Dickson
1995 D90 Red Soft top

Registry
I had a similar problem. Check the free easy stuff first.

Check fluid level. Is there any fluid leaking onto your shoe when you drive?

Looking at the top of the clutch assembly there is a flat piece of metal with six screws in it right next to the fender. Take off these screws and the plate comes off. You can see the pushrod for the clutch. There will be a nut on the end of the rod and another one on the inner portion of the rod inside the box. If this inner nut has loosened on the threaded rod it will not pull the pedal back. Have someone work the clutch and you can see how the nut and pushrod work.

Mine had some stripped threads on the pushrod so the nut came loose. If you tighten this nut you will get your pedal back. I put some thread locker on and so far so good.

If this is not the case then you can look at replacing stuff.
Old November 4th, 2016, 05:37 PM
KGH
Real Name
#1-'13 110SW,#2-'87 127,#3-'12 LR4

Registry
Defender 90 XS: Clutch Pedal Lubrication

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
90, clutch, nas