Stereo Wiring Questions - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old June 19th, 2005, 06:39 PM
Christian Shea
1997 Defender 90 Wagon
Stereo Wiring Questions

I probably should ask someone at crutchfield all of this but worth a shot as I figure most of ya'll may know a bit about stereos. I am going to purchase 2 pairs of components a 4 channel amp to run them and then use an existing amp to power 2 8" subs hidden behind the jump seats in the crevice between the frames and body panels. I don't want to pay the crazy price to have it installed. I am planning on keeping the Clarion head and cd player. Is this doable and if so what parts will I need to adapt the two amp lineup to the stock head unit? Also, I have my winch wired to the battery, will I need a distribution block at the battery (optima yellow) to hook up that power supply, plus the two amp supplies? Thanks in advance.

I require your largest, cheapest, most alcoholic brewed beverage.
Old June 19th, 2005, 07:10 PM
David Shechter
97' D90 SW 2.8L diesel
I can offer a little bit of help and a bit more advice. First of all, where do you plan on installing the tweeters? and are they going to be surface or flush mounted? I have some I surface mounted and had to drill the frame of the door to accommodate the depth, scary with the window's glass right there. As far as the subs go, I can't see you fitting an 8" with the amount of space you'll need to provide the correct amount of air for the enclosure. My recommendation would be to get a pair of 6" powered bazooka tubes and put the in the same location. You will have to grind away at the jump seat bracket a bit to make it fit, I have a truck with them installed by a previous owner. this will also cut down on your 2nd amp. I don't know anything about auto wiring, and that's why I had someone do it for me. I would recommend a distribution block with a separate fuse. I would also forget about the rear speakers, you don't hear much from them in the front and the truck is so noisy that it's a waste of money, use the money to buy a better amp and speakers. Just my advice.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

stereo, wiring