Stereo question - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old December 13th, 2005, 01:05 AM
95 d90
Stereo question

So I am building a stereo from scratch. There is no evidence of there ever having been a stereo in the car. I just ordered 2 sets of Tuffy speaker boxes. So this is what I am thinking: iPod integrated head unit, 2 sets of 6x9" speakers, amp and sub. I know nothing about stereos though. Any suggestions? Recommendations? Products I should stay away from? Also, the head unit is as we all know at a downward angle. Any head units that can`t handle this?

Old December 13th, 2005, 06:54 AM
Jack Walter
1966 109 SW Diesel
I've had good results with Boston Acoustic speakers - if you've got a soft top Defender you'll probably want to look at marine rated speakers (the ones recommended for use in boats) because they will probably get wet at some point.

I understand that Alpine head units are unaffected by the angle they are used at - lots of discussion about suitable head units on Range Rover sites because of the steep angle they are set at in the Range Rover classics. I think Pioneer head units are also high angle tolerant.

Old December 13th, 2005, 07:53 AM
'94 D-90
I've got a pioneer in the truck with XM and have not had any issues with the angle.
Can't you feel 'em circlin' (closin'in) honey?
Can't you feel 'em swimmin' around?
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

Ex2 Adventures
Old December 13th, 2005, 03:31 PM
I've had sony, panasonic and alpine's (2) in my trucks. All worked well at that angle. I replaced the panasonic for no good reason, the sony crapped out because of age and wear, one alpine was stolen and the other alpine is still in the truck with no problems...
"There is absolutely no excuse for the way I'm about to act."
Old December 19th, 2005, 08:49 PM
Mike Schlueter
1995 Red D-90
I put a Sirius Kenwood deck and Infinity speakers (4). In a Tuffy console.

I was told that no speaker is waterproof and its resistance has more to do with the housing than the speaker. My speakers are in the stock boxes and get SOAKED and haven't crapped out on me yet.

good luck

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions