Stereo Install In Dash - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 22nd, 2004, 02:25 PM
caschumann
Creg Schumann
1997 D90 SW

Stereo Install In Dash

Hello.

I've got a 97 D-90 SW, and am contemplating putting in a stereo head (with GPS Nav. such as the Pioneer AVIC-N1) unit in the dash. I've found the Radio Dash Panel from RDS. My question is, where has anyone relocated the rear wiper, wash, and defrost switches?

Also, anyone have any experience with sub-woofers? I've seen posts about the rear door mount, but, with jump seats, it seems a bit cramped. I also don't want to just take out a seat and put in a box. I had a radio installer recommend extending the center console and put in a 10" sub there. Anyone have experience with this? Good, bad, indifferent?

Thanks!

Creg.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 22nd, 2004, 03:23 PM
Defender50th
James
'94 NAS AA Yellow

Hello,

In my UK Defender 50th, which is very simular to a 97 NAS, the set up looks like in the photo below:

Hope this helps

Best regards

James
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	small 640 640.JPG
Views:	617
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	1670  
Old October 22nd, 2004, 03:29 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
In your situation, I would just relocate the switches to a blanking plate on the old radio hole, i.e just swap the places of the two.

A different option (and a nice one I think) would be to get a newer defender dash that has all the locations you could want. George at RDS can probably help you source on of those.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	New Dash.jpg
Views:	678
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	1671  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 22nd, 2004, 03:43 PM
Defender50th
James
'94 NAS AA Yellow

Looks a nice truck Jim.

Nice to see some Croytec dials over in the US.

best regards

James
Old October 22nd, 2004, 04:37 PM
d90xj
J Phillips

I went through relocating a new stereo head unit to the dash a couple month ago. I bought the radio dash panel from Rovers North to complete the project. I relocated the Wiper/cleaner/defogger controls to the old radio slot in my '97 SW. I had to lengthen the wires to make it work. Then I ran all the lines through the center console. I used the old wiper controls panel that was in the dash, and I slipped a screwdriver in between the black face plate and the old grey/beige dash panel. It came apart with relative ease. After prying the black panel away, I moved this to the old radio slot. It is just big enough to cover the stock radio slot hole. I held it down with a couple dabs of silcone. You can use a stronger glue, but I used silcone in case I ever had to pry it back up. At far as a subwoofer, I bypassed the stock amp, when I put in a new head unit. I have plans to remove one of the back seats and mount one there.
Old October 22nd, 2004, 04:50 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
@ d50th -
I wish that was my truck in the pic i posted - those are actually shots of the CKD 110 that was at SEMA last year.
Old October 23rd, 2004, 12:50 AM
javelinadave
-
-

I just got my radio relocation stuff today from RN. I have a 97 ST. Inside of the box where the radio gets relocated is a small plastic electronics box. Where have you guys been relocating it???? It will not fit behind the clock area.
Old October 23rd, 2004, 03:02 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
shit i think yall should start from scratch, new wires amp. everything
Old October 23rd, 2004, 10:37 AM
Chris Cox
Chris Cox
94 D90 SW, 300tdi

There is a write-up on lro.com about putting in the 03 dash. Seems you have to change the wiper motor assembly, as the older style assembly fouls the dash. Few other things. Thought about doing it, but the cost is just too high. Think it was going to be around $400-$500 for all the junk and shipping.

Chris
Old October 23rd, 2004, 12:27 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Chris, I will be doing the 03 dash. I will take pics. I like the silver center piece but it also comes in black. I will see if it works ith the old wiper motor. I was told it will fit.
Old October 23rd, 2004, 02:02 PM
Chaucer
Will
93 110 | 97 90

Chris, I'm interested in seeing the lro.com write-up. Do you have a link?
Old October 23rd, 2004, 02:15 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by javelinadave
I just got my radio relocation stuff today from RN. I have a 97 ST. Inside of the box where the radio gets relocated is a small plastic electronics box. Where have you guys been relocating it???? It will not fit behind the clock area.
Any ideas???
Old October 23rd, 2004, 04:35 PM
Chris Cox
Chris Cox
94 D90 SW, 300tdi

I tried to find the old link, but it looks like it was so long ago, it's not even in the archive any more. Sorry. There is one for sale on ebay right now. I think starting bid was 200gbp if I remember correctly!

Chris
Old October 25th, 2004, 10:34 PM
caschumann
Creg Schumann
1997 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by d90xj
...I relocated the Wiper/cleaner/defogger controls to the old radio slot in my '97 SW...
Though of that, but, I'm now thinking of putting a smaller 6-disc changer in the old spot. Once again, saving as much space in the back is a high priority for me. I've got a couple 150 lb. dogs that love to ride along. They make one heck of a great security alarm...

I've had thoughts of placing the 3 switches just forward of the old stereo location, just before the auto-gear selector.

Anyone have experience with sub-woofers?
Old October 26th, 2004, 01:39 PM
paulb
Paul / Boultbee
1994 D-90, Green #1576

Sub-woofers. There were several streams last year or before on Bazooka tubes going behind the front seats, by the floor roll bar.

Radio in dash Photos - if anyone does the relocation. Pls post photos. I need to get my center con out of the way for a 3rd seat (see seperate thread in about 5 miutes) so the radio needs a home. I just got my Rovers North mailer and saw the dash plastic trim piece. It looked simple... ha

FROM RICK CARLYLE JANUARY 13th or 14th
Matt,

I just upgraded my system. And I looked at installing two Bazookas but found, through my research, that they are not the greatest subwoffer. So I bought two JL Audio 8" subs, had fiberglass enclosures made for them and mounted them between the jumps seats in the rear, one per side. That, coupled with 4 MB Quartz speakers, a JL Audio 300 watt/4 channel amp, a JL Audio 250 watt/mono amp and an Alpine FM/CD/MP3 player and an Alpine 6 disc changer, and I am happy.

I drive this truck a lot every day. I've got to have my music or I would go nuts.

Rick
Old October 26th, 2004, 06:36 PM
tim
Timothy Homewood
Defender 50th going topless

Hi, I note that there is a 2003 dash component on E-bay with rover active...I have a D90 2002..but have not / will not take it apart to see how it differs from the earlier dash construction. tim
Old October 26th, 2004, 09:39 PM
jaherring
Jason Herring
94 D90 ST #1253

Wow, I want one of those center dashboard setups!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
In your situation, I would just relocate the switches to a blanking plate on the old radio hole, i.e just swap the places of the two.

A different option (and a nice one I think) would be to get a newer defender dash that has all the locations you could want. George at RDS can probably help you source on of those.
Old November 3rd, 2004, 04:32 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Just finished moving the radio on my 97 ST from the console to the dash. What a PITA! It took four hours and 20 some odd crimper caps. I do think it is a much safer place for the radio as far as DWT, driving while tuning.
Old November 4th, 2004, 12:41 AM
paulb
Paul / Boultbee
1994 D-90, Green #1576

Dave,
Got photos?
Lets see it, better yet the work in progress as well!
Got any words to advise all others who are about to do this?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
dash, stereo