Stereo Help - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 8th, 2011, 09:16 PM
sandman913
Chris
1985 110 200 Tdi

Stereo Help

Hi all,

In the last week, I had my left front speaker stop working; and around the same time that happened, the sound would cut out on the remaining speakers when I turned the volume up (can barely hear the music at 30 MPH). I replaced the head unit over the weekend with am Alpine CDE-124XM (needed an excuse to get a new stereo ), but still have the exact same problems with failed left front speaker and the radio cutout at high(er) volume. I'm guessing it's probably the amp, but not sure. Has anyone replaced their amp and how difficult is it to wire a new one? Wiring the radio was a challenge until I found the wiring diagram on the site- BIG help. So any recos are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

-C
95 90 SW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 8th, 2011, 11:02 PM
jayz
Jason Zolezzi
85 200tdi 110

Is the power to the head unit going out completely or is it just the volume goes away but the lights stay on. I would just check all the connections before you go yanking stuff out and spending a bunch of money. Most amps and head units have a wiring diagram right on them if you do need to replace. Now that you have done the radio the amp will be easy. Oh, check the ground wire on the amp too. If thats loose it could be causing your problem
Old June 9th, 2011, 07:45 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Sounds like you're shorting out. Make sure all of the ends of your wires are either connected to speakers or taped off from one another at the ends. For example, if you remove your sub, the - and + wires have a tendency to cross paths and your system will short in/out constantly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 9th, 2011, 07:48 AM
kevkon
kevin
1994 D90 300tdi #730, SIII 88

Just bypass the amp, you don't really need it with your new receiver.
Old June 9th, 2011, 08:50 AM
jefhuf
Jeff Huff
'94 D90 ST #655
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevkon View Post
Just bypass the amp, you don't really need it with your new receiver.
I agree. and if you are looking for more power than what the receiver puts out you can always add in one of these...

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_500KTP4...rch=alpine+amp

works great and just plugs in-line with your Alpine head unit! I have an extra that I may be willing to part with...PM me if interested
Old June 15th, 2011, 07:32 PM
sandman913
Chris
1985 110 200 Tdi

Thanks fofr the help. Turns out the connector in the door sill was corroded. Cut and repalced wires and connector- we are now good to go!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
stereo