Stereo Angle...a problem? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 15th, 2008, 06:32 PM
D90user
steve
109/110 ambulance-55 series I

Stereo Angle...a problem?

Has anyone else had problems with stereos crapping out? I have gone through 3 head units in the last 2 years. The last two were marine (Jenson and JBL) and the previous was a Sony.

My concern is the angle and vibration (many mfg specs asy 20-30 degrees max) . I rarely use CD's but the units keep dying. I do drive a ton of washboard, so it could be a combination of angle and vibration.

I'm thinking of going to one of the "black box" units for boats but seems like a PITA for nothing. On a different note...has anyone seen a head unit that recives short wave?

Suggestions...please...

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 15th, 2008, 07:15 PM
revtor
Steve Maietta
1969 IIA 88" Bugeye

Registry
I have a sony (cassette) for the past 10 years and its going strong!

~Steve
Old February 15th, 2008, 09:25 PM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by D90user
I'm thinking of going to one of the "black box" units for boats but seems like a PITA for nothing. On a different note...has anyone seen a head unit that recives short wave?

Suggestions...please...

Cheers
Please elaborate on this "black box" that you speak of...

How exactly have the previous two crapped out??? I'm wondering if you have a wiring short that is causing it. I'm thinking about getting this. No CD to mess with, less moving parts and a bigger screen...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 15th, 2008, 09:57 PM
Hoosier
Chris Hinkle
More than I need

Blaupunkt has some head units which are designed to be mounted vertically, but they are the only mfg I know of that allows a CD to be played at that angle. Other than CD or DVD play, the head unit should be good at any angle unless liquids become part of the equation.
Old February 15th, 2008, 11:35 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by D90user
Has anyone else had problems with stereos crapping out? I have gone through 3 head units in the last 2 years. The last two were marine (Jenson and JBL) and the previous was a Sony.

My concern is the angle and vibration (many mfg specs asy 20-30 degrees max) . I rarely use CD's but the units keep dying. I do drive a ton of washboard, so it could be a combination of angle and vibration.

Suggestions...please...

Cheers
If you beat on a rig or drive in very dusty conditions they just don't last. I think the best way to get around this is to get an amp with an Ipod port and forgo the head unit all together. Mine is on its last leg right now, although it does work upside down.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old February 16th, 2008, 10:02 AM
Retrofit
Pat
1984 110 CrewCab 200Tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by themaxx

How exactly have the previous two crapped out??? I'm wondering if you have a wiring short that is causing it. I'm thinking about getting this. No CD to mess with, less moving parts and a bigger screen...
Going with the same head unit myself. The reliability of the iPod is great, in very cold weather even below -30 celsius it still works fine. I leave my iPod plugged in all the time except for uploads of music. Otherwise it stay in the car at all times. I have another Alpine headunit in the car right now and love it. I will also add the bluetooth add on.

Pat

Kirk Lazarus, Tropic Thunder

color="Red">CanadaOverland.com
Old February 16th, 2008, 10:32 AM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrofit
Going with the same head unit myself. The reliability of the iPod is great, in very cold weather even below -30 celsius it still works fine. I leave my iPod plugged in all the time except for uploads of music. Otherwise it stay in the car at all times. I have another Alpine headunit in the car right now and love it. I will also add the bluetooth add on.

Pat
You're forgetting about the clock, it has a HUGE clock. LOL
Old February 16th, 2008, 11:02 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

I have always toyed with installing a computer surround sound in my truck. Most have a ac/dc adapter for 12V, so ditch the adapter and wire it to a relay that is controlled with the ignition switch and plug your ipod into it. I have not tried it, but I imagine the subwoofer speaker combo would sound great and at $30 off ebay or wherever, you could do it cheap. Put the speakers in the various corners and go cruizing...
Old February 17th, 2008, 12:22 PM
mdmccallum
Mike
'97 Defender 90 SW

I had a Sony go out on me and it was definitely because of the mounting angle.

I ran into a store real quick. I had just cracked open a full Tecate and set it on the console. Kimo, my dog (likes Tecate) was asleep in the back. When I came back Kimo was licking my stereo. Empty Tecate can on my seat.

Kimo poured my full beer down the deck. Luckily I could eject the CD but that was the last task the deck accomplished.

I have an Alpine now (going on 3 years) with iPOD connect and no problems.

Unfortunately, Kimo has moved on. Hopefully to a place where the Tecate flows freely.

Angus and Rider now enjoy my Tecates.
Old February 17th, 2008, 01:37 PM
D90user
steve
109/110 ambulance-55 series I

Quote:
Originally Posted by themaxx

The black box units have a separate amp/reciever with a wire running to a waterproof face. Pretty cool and would allow for horizontal mounting of the amp. Type in black box marine in google, Sony and jbl.

The current head unit ( jenson marine) turns on you can go through all the menues... But sound rarely works. Not even a beep while changing vol. All the wiring is fine( checked many times) but no luck. The previous just stopped one day. And the other was just junk.
I have taken it out and tested on a separate 12 v source with the same results.

So you all have had good luck with the alpine?? Maybe I'll give it a shot, but the more I think about the black box the more I like it. The display could be mounted up front. And it would open up the current location
Old February 17th, 2008, 09:39 PM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

Have a Pioneer and its lasting no issues. It gets rained on since I run with out a top once it warms up. I have killed a XM tuner though.
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

Old February 17th, 2008, 09:56 PM
JackW
Jack Walter
1966 109 SW Diesel

I think Pioneers are designed to run at steep angles - many are not. I've heard that Alpine units will work as well but that is not confirmed. Best solution is to install one of the Iron Goat dash kits like I did and move it up to the dashboard.
Old February 17th, 2008, 11:14 PM
aosias
Alexandra
1995 D90

Registry
Pioneer- cheap and easy

A tech at Crutchfield and a installer at Best Buy both said that Pioneer decks do the best at an angle. I am on my third (because of selling the vehicles- not the decks going out) and they have been great- CD function as well as Ipod and XM. I mounted them in Tuffy boxes and also the standard cubby box. They don't seem to mind dust and rain either although I do tend to close the box and cover them somewhat when it is ugly outside.

Also- if you spend the 30 or so for the warranty at Best Buy when they die you can have them replaced. I've done it with speakers that were rained on a few too many times. They swapped them out for me in an hour.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
stereo