Step and Tire Carrier - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 30th, 2009, 07:38 PM
mmac
Mark M
LR3-95 D-90

Step and Tire Carrier

So I am taking off the tire carrier, back step and replacing bolts in the tailgate. I sanded most of it that needed it with sand paper and hand sander. But a lot of it is still powder coated. Do I need to strip it all down to have it re-powder coated. Is there advantages in looks etc for powder coating vs. spray painting? I have read some of the posts and can't find any clear consensus.

Also, I have some rust to the fuel tank skid plate, is it best to take this off now with the rear bumper off and replace? Is ECR's the best option?

Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 30th, 2009, 07:42 PM
madcowdungbeetle
Carter
1994 D90 on 37s supreme balla style

Registry
Do it right, get it blasted and powder coated. It looks better, will give a uniform look, and is just the proper way to do it.

As for the skid plate.

I think Stephen Peter's aka SafariRover has a pretty good alloy skid plate. I'd give him a call, he's the man. His number is 407.782.7713 i believe.
Old December 30th, 2009, 09:04 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Galvanize them.
Advertisement

Old December 31st, 2009, 11:04 AM
mmac
Mark M
LR3-95 D-90

thanks

Thanks for the thoughts. I tend to agree, do it right or I will always think about whether I should for the powder coating. I read elsewhere it was more likely to chip and was worried.

I think the galvanizing might be overkill, I haven't driven it much in VA and in the process of moving to So Cal for work. So I don't think I will have much rust to deal with there. Am I wrong?

Thanks again.

Mark

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
carrier, tire, tire carrier