steering wheel options - Page 3 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 10th, 2004, 10:09 PM
Doug
Doug Walker
TVR5L-powered NAS D-110

Hi Tom,

I think Wicks' comment was tongue in cheek! No need to start with the **'s!

BTW, Wicks has been in and around Rovers since he was about 10 yrs old, starting in a farm truck 109 that pulled hay wagons, hauled fence posts, and rescued snow plows out of the drifts in Searsmont, ME. In his 20s, he partially restored a beautiful '72 88 ST that we would all die to have back in the family now. And his brother (modified 95 LWB) just called Wicks' current d90 a 'museum piece'. Definitely a concourse truck. So to him, Momo certainly could be called getto. It's all a matter of perspective -- and what you want to do with your vehicle. Myself -- I'd like to try a racing wheel to see if it improves handling and comfort -- the stock wheel is not bad though, and might be hard to beat.

Wicks' 'museum piece' by the way, just won the team competition NVTR2 in October along with my 110. So if we're throwing around challenges -- Wicks and I will be more than happy to meet you and another team truck in Lovelock on April 29. The gauntlet has been tossed!! Let's rumble!

Doug W.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 11th, 2004, 01:08 AM
roverboy
Thomas
Booger

Wow, a real rover family! Your trucks all sound awesome. And if you guys are ever out here in my neck of the woods, I'd love to go wheelin with you. BTW, do you ever make it to the Mid Atlantic Rally?

As for the steering wheel, like I said in a previous post, I love it. And if you've ever been bothered by the size or shape of the stock unit, I highly recommend changing it out. Mine is tons more comfortale than stock, and much easier to steer offroading...especially slow navigating the rocky stuff. Now...I'll concede that if it were tiny and red leather...or maybe with neon or something....well, THAT may be another story. LOL But just because it says Momo on it, doesn't mean it's ghetto.
Old January 11th, 2004, 09:22 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I shoud have my adapter with in the next 2 weeks. Like I said in my past post, I will take it down to a a local shop that does short run fabrication. He will get me a price and I will let you guys know. I payed $90 for mine with shipping actually..
Advertisement

Old January 11th, 2004, 11:44 AM
dnewman9
Dennis Newman
*SOLD*Conniston 97 NAS 90

Which is the correct adapter from Momo for a 97 NAS 90? I see several listed in the FAQ. Can one of you guys tell me the part number of the one you have bought?
Thanks
Dennis
Old January 11th, 2004, 12:08 PM
Rick Carlisle
Rick Carlisle
1997 Alpine White D-90 SW

Dennis,
I got your email and responded this morning. I will get the part number and send it to you when i get my adapter back from the guy who was trying to help me.
Rick
Old January 11th, 2004, 12:24 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I don't have the adapter yet but when I get it, I will give it to you. They are actually all the same. All the trucks have the same steering column and same spline count.

Randy
Old January 12th, 2004, 09:09 AM
mgrgpg
Mark
1989 D110

Rick,

I will cover the shipping for the adapter.

Send me an email to my shop address, and I will give you my Fed Ex or UPS account info.

Mark@waterjetsunlimited.com

Regards,
Mark
Old January 12th, 2004, 01:20 PM
Rick Carlisle
Rick Carlisle
1997 Alpine White D-90 SW

Done
Old January 20th, 2004, 09:32 AM
mgrgpg
Mark
1989 D110

Rick,

Thanks for sending the adapter. Unfortunately I am not setup to manufacture this type of part. The Momo adapter is made to collapse on impact, and I can not manufacture it in this way. I am also concerend about a potential liability issue of manufacturing it out of solid material.

In addition, the $80.00 you spent on it is not bad compared to what you are getting and what someone would have to charge to make small runs of a part like this.

Thanks,
Mark
Old January 23rd, 2004, 10:42 AM
souza
Dave Souza
1995 Defender 90 SW #275

I was under the impression that the stock LR column didn't collapse anyway (which was one of the reasons for not importing them anymore, in addition to airbags). If that's the case, who cares if the custom adapter doesn't collapse? Mark, just sell the adpaters 'for off road use only' like everyone else who is worried about liability does...

I'd prefer it not to push the wheel so much closer to the driver anyway... Can anyone confirm the non-collapsible stock column/wheel?
Old January 23rd, 2004, 10:53 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Dave, you are correct. the stock collumn does not collapse. It is a solid piece of steel. I am still waiting for my adapter so when I get mine, I will let you guys know about manufacturing them.

Randy

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
wheel