steering wheel options - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 19th, 2003, 09:00 AM
Rick Carlisle
Rick Carlisle
1997 Alpine White D-90 SW

Will,

Thanks for the notice. I have placed a bid. If I get it, I can have it shipped to you, Mark, in New York to machine some copies.

Rick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 19th, 2003, 12:15 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Guys,

You don't have to spend 80 bucks. All you have to do is take your steering wheel to a good machine shop and they can easily make you a custom adapter that you can drill yourself so you can use ANY steering wheel, not just Momo. Plus, it does not stick the steering wheel 4in closer to you either, in case you are over 5'5'' No need to re-invent the wheel, pun intended. If you have a welder, you can do it yourself.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old December 26th, 2003, 07:36 PM
Rick Carlisle
Rick Carlisle

I won the bid on the Momo adapter off of eBay and I'm currently waiting on the seller to receive payment and then it will be shipped to me. The seller is in Seaside, CA.

As I said previously, I would be willing to ship it somewhere else for someone to machine a similar adapter, if there is a desire. I would like to get it back in a couple of weeks, at the latest, however. And whomever is interested would have to pay the shipping to and from. I don't know if Mark in New York is still interested or someone else.

Let me know soon if there is an interest. Otherwise, I will just put it on my truck.

And David I realize I paid more than your option. But I have a specific Momo wheel I want and an extra few bucks is nothing considering the time it would take me to do as you suggest. I am certain I am not as mechanically inclined as you nor do I have the tools to accomplish it. Besides, this is a very small piece of what is becoming a large investment in this truck.

Rick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 29th, 2003, 10:25 AM
mgrgpg
Mark
1989 D110

I am still interested...I will be away for a few days, contact me after January 5th, and we can discuss it further.

Thanks,
Mark
Old December 29th, 2003, 12:23 PM
PT94D90
Phil
Currently Defenderless

I'm in for an adapter if Mark can make it.
Old December 29th, 2003, 12:53 PM
Rick Carlisle
Rick Carlisle

The adapter is being shipped to me in Florida. I will receive it, probably, early next week. Like I said, I would be willing to ship to Mark in NY, or elsewhere, for someone to make a similar adapter, as long as you guys get together and cover the shipping to/from. My steering wheel is ordered and I will have it, as well, early next week but I will wait a couple of weeks to put it on.

I will notify via this post once I get the adapter.

Rick
Old December 29th, 2003, 01:34 PM
Doug
Doug Walker
TVR5L-powered NAS D-110

I am in.
Old December 29th, 2003, 04:18 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Guys, I will have my addapter in about a week and when I get it, I will bring it to the shop down the road from me. They do small production runs on things so I will have him give me a price for everyone also.

RAndy
Old December 29th, 2003, 07:05 PM
PT94D90
Phil
Currently Defenderless

Sounds good Randy, I'll wait to hear from you. Appreciate it.

PT
Old December 29th, 2003, 08:32 PM
Rick Carlisle
Rick Carlisle

Randy's option may be quicker. And I have no idea what cost Mark in NY was going to be able to machine the units for.
Since these things seem to be so scarce, I'm glad there are a couple of us that will have one available to be reproduced. I don't mind waiting to help others.
Old December 30th, 2003, 03:22 AM
howellm70
Michael Howell

I'm interested in one as well if anyone's compiling a list. Keep us posted.
Old January 6th, 2004, 09:30 AM
mgrgpg
Mark
1989 D110

Guys,

I am back in the shop now, and if anyone has an adapter they can ship me, I can get it priced up and posted. Let me know.

Thanks,
Mark
Old January 6th, 2004, 05:37 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Has anyone fit the 300tdi version of the Defender steering wheel? I'd like to know if it's direct bolt on or not.
Old January 6th, 2004, 07:19 PM
Rick Carlisle
Rick Carlisle

I received the adapter via UPS today. My Momo wheel as well.
I took the adapter to some hot rods friends of mine and they are going to price up what it would take to machine a similar adapter. I should know in a couple of days.
If that doesn't work, I am still up for shipping it to Mark in NY as long as someone else pays for the shipping to/from and I get it back within a reasonable time period.
I'm not sure what the status of Randy's option is. Maybe he could comment.
Old January 7th, 2004, 12:28 PM
dnewman9
Dennis Newman
*SOLD*Conniston 97 NAS 90

What is the part number on the ebay adapter? I thought the correct adapter for a 92-up Defender was MO-5613 but it looks like a couple other part numbers were quoted in the custom mods section?
Can anyone tell me what works on a 97 if it is different from a 94/95?
Thanks
Dennis

Sorry make that the FAQ section above.
Old January 8th, 2004, 03:21 AM
wicks
Wicks
97 Defender LE SW #44

Momo wheels on a Land Rover? What's wrong with standard?

This is kinda ghetto fellas.
Old January 8th, 2004, 09:13 AM
Rick Carlisle
Rick Carlisle

I don't think so Wicks. Any more than changing your stock seat to an aftermarket one that is much more comfortable (and looks better as well). Check out CVC's write up on the Corbeau seat replacement in his 90. It looks awesome! What's wrong with matching that with a non-stock steering wheel?
For me, it is "creature comfort". I drive my 90 all day in traffic and the stock wheel is just cumbersome. It has always been at the top of my list to change.
Granted, there are some wheels which would look gaudy on the 90, but with careful selection (Momo has many different styles....not just the small racing wheels) I will do fine.
Apparently, there are many others who feel as I do, including your father.
Old January 8th, 2004, 10:35 AM
PT94D90
Phil
Currently Defenderless

I'm with Rick, my mods are for safety and functionality. The stock headlights were flat dangerous they were so weak, so I put in better ones. Same for the side mirrors. I've already banged my elbow a couple of times on the window glass turning the wheel real fast.
Old January 10th, 2004, 01:02 PM
roverboy
Thomas
Booger

ghetto?

are you f*cking kidding me? ghetto? It's not like anyone's putting 20" chrome spinners on it. I'm not even going to try and justify it, it's a personal preference and in my opinion it's far superior than stock. But what do I know? This is only my 3rd rover and I've only been driving them for the last 10 years. Why upgrade your springs? Why put new tires on it? Why not keep the factory bull bar? I'll tell you what Wicks, if you want to see for yourself how "ghetto" it is, I'll be glad to meet you on trail 12 in Tellico anytime and you can take a look.
Old January 10th, 2004, 01:11 PM
Rick Carlisle
Rick Carlisle

Unfortunately, not so good news on machining a similar adapter. My local sources indicate the price would be pretty high for them to do it (more than the $80 I paid for the original). They also admitted they were not really set up to do it, particularly because they don't have a splining tool that would work for this application.
There seemed to be several of you who were interested in having one of these. I still need to hear who would cover the costs of shipping to/from Mark in NY if there is still interest. If I don't hear back, I am just going to put my wheel on, which I could have done before now.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
wheel