steering wheel not lined up straight, help. - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 4th, 2014, 08:25 AM
CavemanDiesel
Eric Smirh
1985 D90

steering wheel not lined up straight, help.

Ok, lets see if I can explain this, after I make a right hand turn the steering wheel stays cocked to the right for about an inch and stays like that until I make a left hand turn, after a left turn the wheel is straight, I also hear a clunk each time I make a turn, so something is moving back and forth, where do I start, I have check the steering components and they seem tight, any ideas?

------ Follow up post added March 4th, 2014 08:29 AM ------

Also, I had a leaking steering box that I thought was causing the problem, I replaced it ,but the problem continues,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 4th, 2014, 08:36 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Damn, be careful. I would take it to an alignment shop. $100.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old March 4th, 2014, 08:56 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
You need to look at what is loose your self. It could be any part of the steering system. One person works the steering back and forth, while another watches and feels for what is loose.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 4th, 2014, 09:11 AM
CavemanDiesel
Eric Smirh
1985 D90

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1of40 View Post
Damn, be careful. I would take it to an alignment shop. $100.
I had the tires balanced and rotated, new shocks and springs, alignment was done at the same time, about a year ago I replaced the break rotors, calipers and pads, the bushings look new and are orange,

------ Follow up post added March 4th, 2014 09:13 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
You need to look at what is loose your self. It could be any part of the steering system. One person works the steering back and forth, while another watches and feels for what is loose.
Yes, I will do that, thanks
Old March 4th, 2014, 09:19 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
I can appreciate that but you have play and sounds coming from your steering now. I'm just saying if it were me I would take it to an alignment shop that is willing to help find the problem and figure out a solution. I would not take uncalculated risks with steering and brakes as they can easily make your current problem pale in comparison. Having driven these trucks for 15 years I have fortunately identified good solid mechanics I can go to when the problem is outside my comfort zone or I need it fixed right the first time. When I have the luxury of time then I try and fail all by myself half the time. Good luck and play safe bro.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old March 4th, 2014, 09:30 AM
CavemanDiesel
Eric Smirh
1985 D90

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1of40 View Post
I can appreciate that but you have play and sounds coming from your steering now. I'm just saying if it were me I would take it to an alignment shop that is willing to help find the problem and figure out a solution. I would not take uncalculated risks with steering and brakes as they can easily make your current problem pale in comparison. Having driven these trucks for 15 years I have fortunately identified good solid mechanics I can go to when the problem is outside my comfort zone or I need it fixed right the first time. When I have the luxury of time then I try and fail all by myself half the time. Good luck and play safe bro.
Good advice, I'll do that,
Old March 4th, 2014, 10:26 AM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

By the time I changed my steering box drop arm ball joint, I could freely wiggle the ball in the arm.
Old March 4th, 2014, 01:27 PM
aka rover
ed angel
95 D90

Registry
Check bolts to steering box on frame .
My guess is it going to be the trac bar that is loose at either end or both .

Ed
67 NADA diesel tremec 4spd salisbury rear springs on front and a LOT MORE TO GO.

Old March 4th, 2014, 02:00 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CavemanDiesel View Post
Ok, lets see if I can explain this, after I make a right hand turn the steering wheel stays cocked to the right for about an inch and stays like that until I make a left hand turn, after a left turn the wheel is straight, I also hear a clunk each time I make a turn, so something is moving back and forth, where do I start, I have check the steering components and they seem tight, any ideas?

------ Follow up post added March 4th, 2014 08:29 AM ------

Also, I had a leaking steering box that I thought was causing the problem, I replaced it ,but the problem continues,
take a look @ the steering shaft between the box and the column as someone else turns your steering wheel back and forth. U joints in that shaft can act like you describe when they are shot.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old March 7th, 2014, 07:27 PM
CavemanDiesel
Eric Smirh
1985 D90

Well, today I had my mechanic take a look at the steering while I turned the wheel, looks like the pan hard bushings have some play in them, I'll replace them and see if that fixes the problem, thanks for the help,
Old March 7th, 2014, 10:51 PM
Greg S
Greg Sutfin
1986 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by CavemanDiesel View Post
Well, today I had my mechanic take a look at the steering while I turned the wheel, looks like the pan hard bushings have some play in them, I'll replace them and see if that fixes the problem, thanks for the help,
Look at the back of the truck. Worn bush or loose bolt letting your rear axle shift ever so slightly which changes your steering geometry.
Old March 7th, 2014, 10:53 PM
RickM
Rick Mabus
95 D-90 ST

I hate to add to your fun, but depending on the age and abuse on your truck, I might suggest going over everything while you are already at it. Looking over every last thing can't hurt at this point. I basically just wrapped up all of this.

1. Start with wheel bearings. Mine were way loose.
2. Maybe replace all 3 steering link bushings. (They are pretty cheap)
3. Go ahead and do the drop arm swivel ball. I did mine while still on the steering box and it was easy.

Obviously a good alignment will be needed after but I was amazed at the improvements to my steering.
Old March 7th, 2014, 11:06 PM
CavemanDiesel
Eric Smirh
1985 D90

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickM View Post
I hate to add to your fun, but depending on the age and abuse on your truck, I might suggest going over everything while you are already at it. Looking over every last thing can't hurt at this point. I basically just wrapped up all of this.

1. Start with wheel bearings. Mine were way loose.
2. Maybe replace all 3 steering link bushings. (They are pretty cheap)
3. Go ahead and do the drop arm swivel ball. I did mine while still on the steering box and it was easy.

Obviously a good alignment will be needed after but I was amazed at the improvements to my steering.
Yep, it feels like I'm slowly replacing everything on this truck, the steering feels pretty good,
Old March 7th, 2014, 11:35 PM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
1984 D90 300 Tdi / 1965 Series IIA
Site Team

Registry
Well, if the steering is OK now you can ignore me, but the Defender workshop manual has a procedure to tighten up the steering box from gear wear.

Old March 7th, 2014, 11:46 PM
CavemanDiesel
Eric Smirh
1985 D90

Quote:
Originally Posted by navydevildoc View Post
Well, if the steering is OK now you can ignore me, but the Defender workshop manual has a procedure to tighten up the steering box from gear wear.
Funny story about my steering box, when I bought the rover the steering box was packed with mud all around it, it leaked from everywhere, I used that to get a reduced price, it lasted for over a year, I replaced it when the death wobble started, I also thought the steering box would fix the other problems I was having, now I understand that all of the parts need to work as intended. Thanks for the advice,

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions