Steering Wheel Lock-Up - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 6th, 2014, 02:13 PM
brettm
Brett
97 D90-SW, Arles +4.6

Steering Wheel Lock-Up

Yesterday, I'm going about 20mph and in the middle of a right turn - brakes applied - wheel is about half way turned, when the steering wheel locks-up. Like it won't turn at all, I wiggle it really hard - then it makes a popping noise and goes back to normal.

This happened once before about 6 months ago, but has never happened again until last night. I was also braking and turning right when it happened that other time. I remember that one well - I as thought I was going to plough right into the cars waiting at the intersection

Anyone ever had anything like this? Is it an early indicator of something worn in the steering column?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 6th, 2014, 02:16 PM
the rover shop
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130

Did it lock in the same position of rotation as the steering lock does..usually steering wheel in straight ahead position.. Not the steering itself.. But the steering wheel..
Old August 6th, 2014, 02:36 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by brettm View Post
Yesterday, I'm going about 20mph and in the middle of a right turn - brakes applied - wheel is about half way turned, when the steering wheel locks-up. Like it won't turn at all, I wiggle it really hard - then it makes a popping noise and goes back to normal.

This happened once before about 6 months ago, but has never happened again until last night. I was also braking and turning right when it happened that other time. I remember that one well - I as thought I was going to plough right into the cars waiting at the intersection

Anyone ever had anything like this? Is it an early indicator of something worn in the steering column?
You should do all your braking in a straight line .. racing line ... slow in ... fast out! ;-)
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 6th, 2014, 03:13 PM
LuisC
Luis Constantin
98 Disvovery 1 LE

Registry
I'd be looking for a possible kinked power steering line.

Or is it more like locking as if you removed your ignition key?
Old August 6th, 2014, 03:18 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Check the steering arm ... could be one of the knuckle joints is stiff / worn out.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old August 6th, 2014, 03:21 PM
brettm
Brett
97 D90-SW, Arles +4.6

Quote:
Originally Posted by the rover shop View Post
Did it lock in the same position of rotation as the steering lock does..usually steering wheel in straight ahead position.. Not the steering itself.. But the steering wheel..
no - the steering wheel was half-turned to the right, way past the lock position. it felt different too - when the "steering lock" is on with key-out it has some wiggle room left and right. this was just hard-locked in one spot, wouldn't budge a bit until i yanked on it.

------ Follow up post added August 6th, 2014 12:23 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuisC View Post
I'd be looking for a possible kinked power steering line.

Or is it more like locking as if you removed your ignition key?
it felt different too - when the "steering lock" is on with key-out - as when that happens there is usually some wiggle room left and right. this was just hard-locked in one spot, wouldn't budge a bit until i yanked on it.
Old August 6th, 2014, 04:53 PM
brettm
Brett
97 D90-SW, Arles +4.6

So I take back that previous comment...

I played with the "key out" steering-lock and the position it engages when the wheel is turned to the right is pretty much where the s.wheel position was when I was driving. Interestingly the steering-lock does not come on when the steering wheel is turned to the left.

Sounds like it might be related to that lock mechanism.
Old August 6th, 2014, 08:56 PM
the rover shop
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130

I'd be putting a new steering/ignition lock in it.. Very cheap and easy to do.. I don't have to tell you that you were very lucky, it could have been wayyyy worserer..
Old August 6th, 2014, 09:10 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
check the universal joints on the steering shaft under the hood.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old August 6th, 2014, 10:18 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
Check your front CV's. I've seen a broken CV wreak havoc with steering. Though you might notice the lack of forward momentum. Check em anyway...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
wheel