Steering Wheel Lock-Up - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old August 6th, 2014, 02:13 PM
brettm's Avatar
brettm
Status: Offline
Brett
97 D90-SW, Arles +4.6
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: seattle, wa
Posts: 188
Steering Wheel Lock-Up

Yesterday, I'm going about 20mph and in the middle of a right turn - brakes applied - wheel is about half way turned, when the steering wheel locks-up. Like it won't turn at all, I wiggle it really hard - then it makes a popping noise and goes back to normal.

This happened once before about 6 months ago, but has never happened again until last night. I was also braking and turning right when it happened that other time. I remember that one well - I as thought I was going to plough right into the cars waiting at the intersection

Anyone ever had anything like this? Is it an early indicator of something worn in the steering column?
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old August 6th, 2014, 02:16 PM
the rover shop
Status: Offline
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: ft lauderdale florida
Posts: 5,225
Did it lock in the same position of rotation as the steering lock does..usually steering wheel in straight ahead position.. Not the steering itself.. But the steering wheel..
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old August 6th, 2014, 02:36 PM
leastonce's Avatar
leastonce
Status: Offline
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 6,078
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by brettm View Post
Yesterday, I'm going about 20mph and in the middle of a right turn - brakes applied - wheel is about half way turned, when the steering wheel locks-up. Like it won't turn at all, I wiggle it really hard - then it makes a popping noise and goes back to normal.

This happened once before about 6 months ago, but has never happened again until last night. I was also braking and turning right when it happened that other time. I remember that one well - I as thought I was going to plough right into the cars waiting at the intersection

Anyone ever had anything like this? Is it an early indicator of something worn in the steering column?
You should do all your braking in a straight line .. racing line ... slow in ... fast out! ;-)
__________________
Quote:
Soapy water / KY jelly, etc. is is basically a must. Yes, good idea to remove trim panels - only takes 5 more minutes to do so.
Car Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old August 6th, 2014, 03:13 PM
LuisC's Avatar
LuisC
Status: Offline
Luis Constantin
98 Disvovery 1 LE
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Austin,Texas USA
Posts: 1,900
Registry
I'd be looking for a possible kinked power steering line.

Or is it more like locking as if you removed your ignition key?
__________________
Black Rhino Lives Matter
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old August 6th, 2014, 03:18 PM
leastonce's Avatar
leastonce
Status: Offline
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 6,078
Registry
Check the steering arm ... could be one of the knuckle joints is stiff / worn out.
__________________
Quote:
Soapy water / KY jelly, etc. is is basically a must. Yes, good idea to remove trim panels - only takes 5 more minutes to do so.
Car Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old August 6th, 2014, 03:21 PM
brettm's Avatar
brettm
Status: Offline
Brett
97 D90-SW, Arles +4.6
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: seattle, wa
Posts: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by the rover shop View Post
Did it lock in the same position of rotation as the steering lock does..usually steering wheel in straight ahead position.. Not the steering itself.. But the steering wheel..
no - the steering wheel was half-turned to the right, way past the lock position. it felt different too - when the "steering lock" is on with key-out it has some wiggle room left and right. this was just hard-locked in one spot, wouldn't budge a bit until i yanked on it.

------ Follow up post added August 6th, 2014 12:23 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuisC View Post
I'd be looking for a possible kinked power steering line.

Or is it more like locking as if you removed your ignition key?
it felt different too - when the "steering lock" is on with key-out - as when that happens there is usually some wiggle room left and right. this was just hard-locked in one spot, wouldn't budge a bit until i yanked on it.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old August 6th, 2014, 04:53 PM
brettm's Avatar
brettm
Status: Offline
Brett
97 D90-SW, Arles +4.6
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: seattle, wa
Posts: 188
So I take back that previous comment...

I played with the "key out" steering-lock and the position it engages when the wheel is turned to the right is pretty much where the s.wheel position was when I was driving. Interestingly the steering-lock does not come on when the steering wheel is turned to the left.

Sounds like it might be related to that lock mechanism.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old August 6th, 2014, 08:56 PM
the rover shop
Status: Offline
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: ft lauderdale florida
Posts: 5,225
I'd be putting a new steering/ignition lock in it.. Very cheap and easy to do.. I don't have to tell you that you were very lucky, it could have been wayyyy worserer..
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old August 6th, 2014, 09:10 PM
Uncle Douglas's Avatar
Uncle Douglas
Status: Offline
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Gods Country- Central Virginia
Posts: 11,839
Registry
check the universal joints on the steering shaft under the hood.
__________________
Good judgement comes from experience,experience comes from bad judgement.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

410.693.1391


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old August 6th, 2014, 10:18 PM
Ren Ching's Avatar
Ren Ching
Status: Offline
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Downtown
Posts: 4,696
Registry
Check your front CV's. I've seen a broken CV wreak havoc with steering. Though you might notice the lack of forward momentum. Check em anyway...
Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
wheel

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wheel Spats - Steering Wheel - Loadspace - Floor Mats Rugbier For Sale - Parts 21 November 20th, 2012 08:29 PM
Wheel arches (spats) Steering wheel dash parts tomaco1 For Sale - Parts 6 April 10th, 2012 12:50 AM
Quick Steering Fix - play in the steering wheel. bossman429 Defender Technical Discussions 5 February 27th, 2012 08:37 PM
For Sale: Defender Steering wheel adaptor for Mountney wheel SeattleRRC For Sale - Parts 2 February 11th, 2009 04:46 PM
Wheel Adapter - NOT steering wheel nikojo Defender Technical Discussions 0 June 9th, 2008 12:49 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:30 AM.


Copyright