Steering Stop not "Stopping" - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 19th, 2007, 08:57 PM
pcscharfe
pcdefender
D90/NAS 110

Question Steering Stop not "Stopping"

After much debate and research I recently added OME 2" lift and 285/75/r16 MTRs. I love the setup...

Today I jacked up the front end and adjusted the steering stops.

Left turns... no problem.

Right turns... problem. No matter how far out the driver's side "stop bolt" was extended, a full-crank right hand turn is still putting rubber on the passenger side radius arm. I adjusted the bolt several times, until the bolt was barely biting the lock nut. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 19th, 2007, 09:19 PM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

Your axle is not centered due to the lift, an adjustable pan hard would fix it, or a longer bolt. You could also build up the head of the bolt by tacking a couple of washers to it.
Old July 20th, 2007, 12:23 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Try not turning the wheel as far.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 20th, 2007, 10:55 AM
LRover
J. Michael McCaig
D90 ST, LR110, Series IIa, RRC

Wheels with a greater offset or wheel spacers will allow you to get your old turning circle back and your wheel stops can be adjusted back to just about where they were.
Old July 20th, 2007, 11:26 AM
pcscharfe
pcdefender
D90/NAS 110

Lightbulb

Kevin,

Thanks for the suggestions. I looked around for some more info on the panhard rod and stumbled across this thread on the axle and panhard rod connection. This is more about the benefits of heim joints, but the axle shifting issue is still there. Contributions by Buck and Tis seem to indicate that my 2-3" lift may be too small to create an axle shift problem. What do you think?

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...eferrerid=1953

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckon37s
With 2-3 there is really no reason to mess with the rod. If the bushings are wearing out there must be another cause. Do you get vibration alot??
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteD90
I agree with David, with only 2-3" of lift I don't think you would see a shift in the axle. If you do relocate the mounting bracket be sure to keep the drag link and panhard rod as parallel as possible or you will develop bump steer. My hiem jointed panhard has reduced the amount of lateral play as a result of worn out bushings.

Tis
Buck,

Any other productive suggestions--I'm sure you can work this one out?
At least you offered a simpler explanation than the step by step advice you offered RoverGirl, lol!

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...7&postcount=24

J.Michael,

I understand that greater offset or wheel spaces will do the trick, but I am hoping to avoid big purchases to make this work.

---------------------

Other ideas? I'd hate to spend $250 on a panhard rod if I dont need to or even more for spacers.

Thanks Paul
Old July 24th, 2007, 07:52 PM
pcscharfe
pcdefender
D90/NAS 110

Question Follow Up

A quick update...

I spoke with Keith at Rover Tracks and he seconds Kevin's post regarding the adjustable panhard rod. Hopefully that will bring the turning radius closer to the stock position--I'll follow up here when I get the time/money to make the upgrade.

On another note, after one last attempt to get things to work I tweaked the Steering Lock Stop Bolt in question and now need to replace it regardless... What a jackass! Lol.

Does anyone have a spare Steering Lock Stop Bolt lying around?
Old July 24th, 2007, 07:57 PM
jimmy salmon
jimmy salmon
94 D90 AA Yellow

i took mine off and threw them away (bent anyway), at speed you dont use full lock and off road or going slow you feel it on the radius arms, then just ease off the steering. problem solved.

Old July 24th, 2007, 11:13 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Hey pcscharfe,

Your track bar is on a radius so when you move the axle up and down you will get minute changes in the front end. Your bump stops are probably the only sign you have that this is happening. You can fix it with an adjustable rod, or just put a longer bolt in one end of the bump stop and a shorter in the other. I would just do that if it is bothering you. Personally, I run my steering stops short so I can crank the tire against the radius arm if I have to have the extra turning distance. You can get everything you need to do this at an Ace Hardware or similar store for a few bucks.

Hope that helps, Dave

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions