Steering stabilizer... Death Wobble.. - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 14th, 2008, 08:09 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Steering stabilizer... Death Wobble..

I have been noticing that every once and a while if I hit a bump that my tires/ steering wheel will start to wobble back and forth uncontrollably.
I did check my air pressure yesterday and it was really low at only 20 lbs. I have since filled the tires back to 33lbs but have not driven it.
My swivels and ball joints are almost new. Could it be a faulty or beatup OME steering stabilizer?

Does anyone have a FOX steering stabilizer? Is it worth the extra $ where is a good place to buy it?

I will unbolt mine later to check the resistance. I can't think of anny other thing that can be wrong... It drives perfectly 99% of the time. this just happens once and a while.
Advertisement

Old September 14th, 2008, 08:40 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I had the death wobble when I put my truck together, ultimately it was a combination of alignment, tire-balancing, and fixing the pre-load on the swivels that solved it. The stabilizer did nothing for me, probably because the other stuff was out. I don't know if a steering stabilizer alone can allow death wobble, I thought it was just to prevent hard kick-back in the steering wheel and provide a good resistance for the power steering.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old September 14th, 2008, 08:52 AM
ERICZZ
ERIC ZUCCARO
97 D90

Had a very severe wobble mine was a loose bolt / worn bushing on the front stablizer bar . the fixed bar the bolts to the front diff and the frame/bracket under the steering box .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 14th, 2008, 09:02 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
My steering alignment and swivels are perfect... I was also guessing that It could be wheel balancing as well. my tires have quite a bit of wear now from new.

IT steers and drives perfectly at all speeds. I have only got it to wobble like that about 3 times. IT was after i hit a good bump that jarred the wheel a bit then it would normally just just shake the steering wheel once, it went into an osolating back and forth shake of the steering wheel. I loked out of the window and the front wheels were slightly saking back and forth but not enough to cause the truck o wonder. Its weird. Its all in the wheel and everything is tight. Thats why I guess the stabilizer for not controlling the bump steer when hiting a bump or wheels needing to be rebalanced after 10k.
Old September 14th, 2008, 09:11 AM
ERICZZ
ERIC ZUCCARO
97 D90

not the steering stabilizer but the hard fixed side to side bar , check the bolts and check the bushings
Old September 14th, 2008, 09:13 AM
jimmy salmon
jimmy salmon
94 D90 AA Yellow

hows your lock nuts on the stub axle. my lock washer rounded off and the nuts loosend off enough to make it wobble at times.

Old September 14th, 2008, 09:36 AM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

I had this when one of my front Radius/Control arm nut was loose...

Old September 14th, 2008, 12:18 PM
madcowdungbeetle
Carter
1994 D90 on 37s supreme balla style

Registry
panhard rod bushings.

my sisters disco does the same thing once every 30K miles, and its always the panhard bushings.
Old September 14th, 2008, 12:53 PM
Joe P
Joe Pfeiffer
Black 97 D-90ST #0605

Mine had that and it was the preload
Old September 14th, 2008, 02:13 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I just put 33lbs in the tires from 20lbs and all seems OK. I drove it all over and hit every bump in the road. No wobble. I will keep you posted. My pan hard rod bushing and bolt is perfect. I also checked my stabilizer and it appeared fine...
Old September 15th, 2008, 01:23 AM
Tawayama
Michael Slade
No Land Rovers

Alignment is perfect? Don't bet on it. Give it a bit of toe-in and your wobble will go away.
Old September 15th, 2008, 02:15 AM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
Get someone to turn the wheel side to side while you look for play in the panhard bushings. I had the same problem and went through suspension, alignment, preload etc... finally looked at the panhard bushings and they were shot. Simple fix if thats the problem.
Old September 15th, 2008, 11:09 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

On your truck you probably have insufficient castor.
Old September 15th, 2008, 12:27 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
My castor is good. IT is adjustable with the 3-link and all is well. I will check the bushings but It appears fine after the air was put in the tires. I will still check since I have a long drive to MAR and want no issues.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions