Steering shaft question - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 26th, 2012, 04:22 PM
jayz
Jason Zolezzi
85 200tdi 110

Steering shaft question

I am trying to get the steering on my 110 tightened up a bit and discovered something that I am not sure is right. The truck is an early 110 with the proper steering shaft for that period truck. At the bottom of the shaft where it attaches to the U joint assembly there is a little bit of play. The shaft slides in and out of the u joins assembly a tiny bit. Is this normal? Looking at the part alone on line it looks like there is a notch on the shaft that accepts a set bolt. When I tried tightening the bolt it didn't budge so my question is should it be this way or is my steering shaft worn? The problem I am having with the steering is when I go into a turn and get the steering wheel where I need it the truck then wants to keep turning so I am constantly correcting the steering in turns. I don't think the steering shaft is the cause of this but if there is a problem with the shaft I want to replace it. The truck has a 2" lift and the tie rod ends seem to be good (there is no play in them)

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 26th, 2012, 04:56 PM
Antichrist
Tom Rowe
Defender/Disco/Series/MoD

There shouldn't be any movement between the shaft and u-joints. At least there isn't on later ones. I'm making an assumption that even if a different design, the basics are the same.

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
in places even more inaccessible.

62 88 Regular
67 109 6cyl NADA x2
74 Lightweight - The Antichrist
95 DI 5-speed
95 D90 5-speed
97 D1 Automatic
Old July 26th, 2012, 09:54 PM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

Nope, there should be no play in the shaft. Have you tried to take it apart and check the splines? I would also check to make sure that you are not bottoming out on the bolt.
Advertisement

Old July 26th, 2012, 10:15 PM
jayz
Jason Zolezzi
85 200tdi 110

It looks lake that particular shaft doesn't have splines. If you look at the part on the RN site it just shows a notch on either side. I will take it out this weekend and have a look at it though
Old July 27th, 2012, 05:06 AM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayz View Post
It looks lake that particular shaft doesn't have splines. If you look at the part on the RN site it just shows a notch on either side. I will take it out this weekend and have a look at it though
My '84 has splines on the shaft, have they all been worn off? I don't think I'd be driving it in that state until it had been checked out.
Old July 27th, 2012, 08:37 AM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

I have not seen one that didn't have splines unless they were worn clean, however it is a Land Rover so who knows what modifications they did on the earlier models?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions