steering question - groan turning right - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 26th, 2007, 04:40 PM
Emerson00
Matt J.
None at the moment

steering question - groan turning right

I have a strange problem with steering: turning the wheel to the right, there is a groan/grinding sound. No noise turning left at all.

Where do I start? I did some figure 8's in a parking lot, much to the amusement of everyone but my wife, as the manual suggested a noise could need purging the box (said do figure 8s...).

I haven't bled the fluid yet, but the level seems OK in the reservoir.

There are no neon signs underneath saying "hey dummy look here" so... I'm not seeing anything too obvious; the whole right-only bit has me confused.

New panhard rod, drag link, and track rod, all with bushings, new steering damper, new power steering lines and reservoir. New swivel balls, upper pins and bearings, all new seals and one-shot grease in the housings, and all new seals in the hub assembly...

Thanks in advance, for any advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 27th, 2007, 02:02 PM
revorder
JP McInerny

Did you recenter the steering after all the new parts were installed? Is there a steering stop bolt on the drivers side swivel housing? JP
Old July 28th, 2007, 06:11 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

Does your new steering damper have a ridiculous gas charge ?(ie Bilstien) if so when turning right you are trying to compress this and if your PAS pump is at all on the weak side it will complain. Tuning left the aforementioned gas charge will be working in your (or the PAS pumps)favour.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 28th, 2007, 12:21 PM
Emerson00
Matt J.
None at the moment

new steering damper is OME. Same? This makes sense.
Old July 28th, 2007, 07:02 PM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

Nah, the OME should not have a positive charge. Check that it is not binding somewhere in the travel. Sounds like you have a weak pump anyhow.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Old December 12th, 2009, 10:57 PM
MKK
Matt Keller
97 D90

I have a "knock" sound whenever I turn my wheel to extreme right or left. Any advice?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ht