Steering Pump Rebuild Recommendations - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 6th, 2012, 08:17 PM
isleofbones
Mike Deery
1984 D-90

Steering Pump Rebuild Recommendations

The steering box on my 1984 rhd row d-90 was leaking pretty well when I purchased it 2 years ago. I stemmed the leaking by pumping in that sticky red stop leak stuff. Its held its own while I've done other projects on the car. Now, its time to tackle this task, and I am looking for some advice. I could take the truck to my mechanic and see if he can have the pump rebuilt locally... is that something that is commonly available for 27 year old steering boxes in most areas? I could send my box to meridian, as I've read good reviews on the site... However, this would run into more down time than I want since I use the truck almost every other day. Finally, I could purchase a steering box that is for sale on this site, have it rebuilt while continuing to use my old "stop leak" steering box, and worry about selling / passing my old one to someone on the site who may need to do the same thing (thus, eliminating down time issue). Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 6th, 2012, 08:44 PM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by isleofbones View Post
The steering box on my 1984 rhd row d-90 was leaking pretty well when I purchased it 2 years ago. I stemmed the leaking by pumping in that sticky red stop leak stuff. Its held its own while I've done other projects on the car. Now, its time to tackle this task, and I am looking for some advice. I could take the truck to my mechanic and see if he can have the pump rebuilt locally... is that something that is commonly available for 27 year old steering boxes in most areas? I could send my box to meridian, as I've read good reviews on the site... However, this would run into more down time than I want since I use the truck almost every other day. Finally, I could purchase a steering box that is for sale on this site, have it rebuilt while continuing to use my old "stop leak" steering box, and worry about selling / passing my old one to someone on the site who may need to do the same thing (thus, eliminating down time issue). Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Look into recon or aftermarket RHD pumps from across the pond. Every breaker has one sitting about, and Ebay UK is full of them starting at 25.00.
Old August 6th, 2012, 09:38 PM
isleofbones
Mike Deery
1984 D-90

Brian-
Thanks for the suggestion. Checked ebay UK, they don't have my pump at this time... will check back as well as some other sources across the pond. Depending on the rebuild cost, I may go for a used one here and have it rebuilt. It may be a question of availability and shipping costs / willlingness of some UK sellers to ship internationally.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 6th, 2012, 09:41 PM
tomaco1
T.mac
83 110

Registry
Is it the pump or the box?
George at RDS has the pumps
the steering box you could send to Meridian
Old August 6th, 2012, 09:59 PM
Naplm00
Matthew
1983 110 200tdi 3 door soft top

Also if it's just the pump on an early truck the rebuild kit is only 5bucks
Old August 7th, 2012, 06:32 PM
isleofbones
Mike Deery
1984 D-90

Sorry for any confusion... It is the box.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
rebuild