steering problem (drifting) - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 10th, 2010, 09:15 AM
TexasD-90
Martin Spencer
1994 D-90

steering problem (drifting)

I recently put on the RTE 2" springs, and now at highway speeds I have a slight drift from left to right. Any suggestions? Could it be my steering linkage? Tie rod ends? It isn't too bad, but it needs to be fixed.
Advertisement

Old August 10th, 2010, 09:25 AM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Lower rear link-to-chassis bushings. They are inexpensive and easy to change, and cause the problem you describe a LOT... that is where you should start.
Old August 10th, 2010, 12:22 PM
TexasD-90
Martin Spencer
1994 D-90

I am unclear as to what you are saying. The rear links? or the rear of the front links? I just installed new rear links from RTE with new bushings. If you are talking about the front links I will try that.
Advertisement

Old August 10th, 2010, 02:29 PM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasD-90 View Post
I am unclear as to what you are saying. The rear links? or the rear of the front links? I just installed new rear links from RTE with new bushings. If you are talking about the front links I will try that.
The rear link-to-chassis bushing, aka NRC7491:
http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/NRC7491.cfm

If you didn't replace these, you need to. Even ones that look good usually aren't when you take them out. When these get a little play in them the rear axle can walk around a bit, literally rear-steering the truck, especially noticeable during the transition from throttle to coasting/deceleration.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions