Steering issues - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 2nd, 2014, 10:50 PM
ceedy
Chris
1989 Defender 110

Registry
Steering issues

The steering in my 89 110 (with power steering) isn't right.

After I turn right at highway speeds there is about an inch (measured on the outside of the steering wheel) of play in the steering wheel where the wheels don't move when I steer straight again. When the steering responds again, the steering wheel is noticeably askew (not by much but it isn't dead straight). After I turn left again it is centered again.

I had my power steering box replaced in December and I suspect it is the culprit but I can't explain to myself how it it could be behaving like this. It also looks like I have a small power steering fluid leak but if this is the issue then it seems like I wouldn't have this problem on only one side. I also checked for bent rods and everything looks OK at a cursory glance.

I tightened up the allen screw on top of the box in an effort to take the play out with no results. (http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=36059)

I also bled the system.

Am I on the right track thinking the power steering box is faulty? Are there other things that could cause this issue?

Thanks!

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 2nd, 2014, 11:02 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
what is the condition of the universal joints in the steering linkage before the box ? there should be no play there. If your box is new and there is no play in the universal joints going into the box it is likely in the drop arm pivot or your tie rod ends. Sounds pretty bad, I wouldn't drive it.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old September 3rd, 2014, 06:50 AM
flananuts
Matthew
LRC Customs #003 D110 Soft Top

Registry
I agree on the drop a ball joint. It was the culprit on my 110, easy fix. If there's any play, replace it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 3rd, 2014, 09:17 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
make sure you center the box properly before you adjust the play. mikeslandrover did a writeup about this. The slop in the steering gets worse the further you steer from center on the box.
Old September 3rd, 2014, 01:43 PM
ceedy
Chris
1989 Defender 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
what is the condition of the universal joints in the steering linkage before the box ? there should be no play there. If your box is new and there is no play in the universal joints going into the box it is likely in the drop arm pivot or your tie rod ends. Sounds pretty bad, I wouldn't drive it.
Is is scary to drive.

There isn't any play in the universal joints but I may try to remove the shaft to definitively test it.

I'll check the drop arm and tie rods to see what I can find there.

------ Follow up post added September 3rd, 2014 12:45 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
make sure you center the box properly before you adjust the play. mikeslandrover did a writeup about this. The slop in the steering gets worse the further you steer from center on the box.
I *think* I did this right but I could have made a mistake. If it wasn't centered properly could that explain the issue happening only on right turns?
Old September 3rd, 2014, 01:46 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
YOU need to look and see what is loose. It could be a lot of things. The best way is to have someone wiggle the steering wheel, while you look and feel at each location through the steering and front suspension.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old October 15th, 2014, 10:33 PM
ceedy
Chris
1989 Defender 110

Registry
Circling back to this thread after I got distracted with my engine swap project.

Uncle Douglas wins the prize, the problem was the drop arm pivot. I managed to get the arm off with no fuss with the help of my trusty Harbor Freight Ptiman arm puller. Once it was off I found that the pivot was very clunky.

Thanks for everyone's advice.

--Chris
Old October 15th, 2014, 11:49 PM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

When I replaced mine, I removed the bottom plate, drilled & tapped it & installed a zirk to keep the new one greased.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions