Steering issue - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 9th, 2010, 10:23 AM
Cirbo
Jim C.
None

Steering issue

Ok, I know others have experienced this symptom, so I'm looking for the easy button.

I just rebuilt the front axle and installed all new tie rod ends to tighten up the steering. Now I feel a subtile pull to the left on accelleration, and pull to the right when I let off the gas. I suspect some worn link bushings somewhere, but was hoping someone could point me to the exact spot before I crawl back under there again.

The truck has 77k on the clock and has had rear trailing arms rebushed in past 20k miles.

jC
Advertisement

Old May 9th, 2010, 12:03 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Are both wheel bearings equally set up?

That was the issue on my disco when this happened, but that had a TT that made it more sensitive.

Ron
Old May 9th, 2010, 12:41 PM
ini88
Daniel Marcello
Alloy+Grit Creative Director

This may sound stupid but I had similar issues after replacing both diffs. I was pulling my hair out trying to figure it out. It happen to be that bracket that bolts to the front diff that sleeves over the tierod. I tightened it down too much and was a bit crooked so it was giving constant pressure on the tierod on the passenger side.

I know... sounds real dumb but its a easy 2 minute fix. Take it completely off and take it for a spin around the block and see if it pulls anymore. your steering will feel loose, but as long as it doesn't pull then you know its the problem. Put the bracket back on and make sure its straight. You may have to add small washer between it and the diff to give it more space to sleeve the tierod.
1994 Defender 90 #916
1967 Lancia Fulvia
1974 Alfa Romeo GTV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 9th, 2010, 11:36 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
I'm guessing based on personal experience that some suspension component is loose. I have experienced the same symptom due to loose A-arm balljoint, loose trailing arm mounts at the frame end (big nut was loose) and loose leaf spring u-bolts on my old 88". Best way I have found to identify the loose item is to rock the car back and forth by hand while you watch each suspension joint. I'm confident you will find the problem that way. You might need a helper to do the rocking part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirbo View Post
Ok, I know others have experienced this symptom, so I'm looking for the easy button.

I just rebuilt the front axle and installed all new tie rod ends to tighten up the steering. Now I feel a subtile pull to the left on accelleration, and pull to the right when I let off the gas. I suspect some worn link bushings somewhere, but was hoping someone could point me to the exact spot before I crawl back under there again.

The truck has 77k on the clock and has had rear trailing arms rebushed in past 20k miles.

jC
Old October 1st, 2010, 06:57 PM
andyrad
Andy Radlgruber
None.

I just had the same experience but it was after changing out the rear trailing arms with RTE cranked arms. All was fine until after a day of hard wheeling and trashing the suspension. Then it would pull left on the gas and right off the gas. In between it was all over the place. Using the D-90 source search and forums - thank you D-90 source - I managed to track it down to the rear trailing arm bushings on the frame. One was completely broken and the other was getting loose.

I think that whenever you make a change on your truck it is almost guaranteed to open up another issue, we'll call it the weakest link. So an hour in the driveway and $45 later I drive straight as an arrow.

Now I just have to sort out the lack of down travel, tight steering box (my fault and rectifiable with ease), change the rear springs to softer ones, source the squeaks and rattles from the interior rear area, install new headlight baskets, find a good deal on a Rigid LED light bar, and the list goes on as it does for most any rover owner.

Just to add to this the administrator might want to add some of this information to the FAQ section as it can be tough to search for specific bushing questions.
Old October 4th, 2010, 05:03 PM
revor
Keith Kreutzer
Old beat up 110
D-90 Source Vendor

sounds like the panhard rod is loose.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Big, Red and ... aaa Red..

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions