Steering Ignition Switch locked up - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 17th, 2017, 07:35 PM
twozzie
Ewan Ferguson
1997 / D90

Steering Ignition Switch locked up

Hi all, I have a new to me 97 NAS D90.

Today the ignition switch locked up and wont budge. tried the graphite, WD40, hammer hitting tricks and still nothing. I see a thread on here:
"/forum/f6/ignition-steer-lock-removal-48782.html?highlight=ignition+switch"
where they explain to take out the entire switch but I believe there is a way to take out the barrel only - right?

On the top of the barrel there is a small hole I can insert a small screwdriver into and it seems to release a sprint or something. Does this release the barrel so I can replace this or do I need to go the hole way and replace the entire thing??

I live in hope, thanks all
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 17th, 2017, 08:01 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Try jerking the steering wheel back and forth while you try to turn (not force) the key.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old December 17th, 2017, 08:08 PM
Rufus
Rufus
1994 NAS D90 ST #1118

Registry
Yup just about to say the same thing - move that wheel up or down while toying the key

D90 Yahoo Group member since 2001
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 17th, 2017, 08:10 PM
twozzie
Ewan Ferguson
1997 / D90

Tried the juggle and turn thing too, nope.
Old December 17th, 2017, 09:36 PM
outpost
Andy
97 D90

If you replace the whole thing make sure you get a 97 model specific steering ignition switch. From what I understand, a non 97 steering ignition switch does not have the wiring for the solenoid that disengages the transmission lock and you will not be able to shift into H/L. I think the 97 steering ignition switch is very difficult to source. Also - apart from juggling the wheel, make sure the gear selector is all the way in P - sometimes it needs a little reminder.
Old December 17th, 2017, 10:35 PM
twozzie
Ewan Ferguson
1997 / D90

Quote:
Originally Posted by outpost View Post
If you replace the whole thing make sure you get a 97 model specific steering ignition switch. From what I understand, a non 97 steering ignition switch does not have the wiring for the solenoid that disengages the transmission lock and you will not be able to shift into H/L. I think the 97 steering ignition switch is very difficult to source. Also - apart from juggling the wheel, make sure the gear selector is all the way in P - sometimes it needs a little reminder.
Thank u for the info. Question, could the wiring for the transmission selector affect the switch?. I was in there playing with the wires for the stereo and heated seat just before it locked up.
Old December 18th, 2017, 03:52 PM
outpost
Andy
97 D90

Ewan, I don't know. My mechanical skill set is limited to swiping the credit card through the reader at the mechanic. It certainly sounds like it could be a lead as I have found that sometimes my gear selector is not all the way in P and a nudge sets it and the ignition key turns. Good luck.
Old December 18th, 2017, 04:23 PM
ron
Ron
1995 110 Beach Runner

does the key turn all the way
if you can turn the key can you put the truck in gear
are the wheels lock hard right or hard left
will the truck start
Old December 19th, 2017, 02:47 PM
twozzie
Ewan Ferguson
1997 / D90

So the key will go in and out of the lock but it wont turn at all. The transmission is in Park. ON trying to get the key to turn by jiggling the wheel, the steering lock engaged so the car is locked tighter than a ducks butt.
I have a local locksmith coming today to see if he can free it up. There is, what seems like, a barrel extraction hole on the top of the lock which I hope he can utilize, seems like if you insert the key in the lock, then insert a jewelers driver into the hole, it releases the mechanism and the barrel can be removed (thats the theory).

I have one replacement lock coming from RN but it does not have the solenoid for the transmission so I will have to short out the connection to allow the transmission to free up. Thereafter the key will be to turn the car on regardless of transmission - this is last ditch, I dont like this.

I have an additional replacement coming from Bearmach in the UK. They confirmed its the one with solenoid attached (not convinced until I see it).

I live in hope
Old December 19th, 2017, 03:17 PM
JJ14
Jim
1997 D90

Registry
My '97 does the same thing from time to time. Once I wiggle the shifter into place, it frees up the ignition.
Old December 19th, 2017, 03:51 PM
Factoid
Mark
Three criminals seeking revenge

Registry
Hmm..same vehicle, same problem...same solution?
1975 Porsche 911 hot rod
1964 Porsche (Beck) 904
Old December 19th, 2017, 04:11 PM
ron
Ron
1995 110 Beach Runner

are the wheels lock hard right or hard left
Old December 21st, 2017, 03:32 PM
twozzie
Ewan Ferguson
1997 / D90

Ok, locksmith freed it up. He used the spare key (it literally arrived the same day from the seller along with receipts/manuals etc by Fedex.)
He says the tumbler is well worn and he wouldn't trust it not to happen again, get it changed soonest.

So, I intend to change the barrel only to one of the replacemenst coming (fingers crossed). Key in ignition, turned to accessory and then press the barrel release on top , pull like crazy and hope it will pop out
Old December 21st, 2017, 09:56 PM
BarryO
Barry O'Mahony
97 D-90 SW LE

I had a 97 Disco where the tumbler wore out and needed replacement. Must be a weak spot in this vintage of Rovers
Old December 22nd, 2017, 02:00 AM
Jonesy
Craig
NADA

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryO View Post
I had a 97 Disco where the tumbler wore out and needed replacement. EVERYTHING IS a weak spot in this vintage of Rovers
Fixed it for you...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
switch