Defender Source Forum banner

Steering Ignition Switch locked up

Tags
switch
8K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  twozzie 
#1 ·
Hi all, I have a new to me 97 NAS D90.

Today the ignition switch locked up and wont budge. tried the graphite, WD40, hammer hitting tricks and still nothing. I see a thread on here:
"/forum/f6/ignition-steer-lock-removal-48782.html?highlight=ignition+switch"
where they explain to take out the entire switch but I believe there is a way to take out the barrel only - right?

On the top of the barrel there is a small hole I can insert a small screwdriver into and it seems to release a sprint or something. Does this release the barrel so I can replace this or do I need to go the hole way and replace the entire thing?? :(

I live in hope, thanks all

#2 ·
Try jerking the steering wheel back and forth while you try to turn (not force) the key.

#3 ·
Yup just about to say the same thing - move that wheel up or down while toying the key

#5 ·
If you replace the whole thing make sure you get a 97 model specific steering ignition switch. From what I understand, a non 97 steering ignition switch does not have the wiring for the solenoid that disengages the transmission lock and you will not be able to shift into H/L. I think the 97 steering ignition switch is very difficult to source. Also - apart from juggling the wheel, make sure the gear selector is all the way in P - sometimes it needs a little reminder.

#6 ·
Thank u for the info. Question, could the wiring for the transmission selector affect the switch?. I was in there playing with the wires for the stereo and heated seat just before it locked up.

#7 ·
Ewan, I don't know. My mechanical skill set is limited to swiping the credit card through the reader at the mechanic. It certainly sounds like it could be a lead as I have found that sometimes my gear selector is not all the way in P and a nudge sets it and the ignition key turns. Good luck.

#8 ·
does the key turn all the way
if you can turn the key can you put the truck in gear
are the wheels lock hard right or hard left
will the truck start

#9 ·
So the key will go in and out of the lock but it wont turn at all. The transmission is in Park. ON trying to get the key to turn by jiggling the wheel, the steering lock engaged so the car is locked tighter than a ducks butt.
I have a local locksmith coming today to see if he can free it up. There is, what seems like, a barrel extraction hole on the top of the lock which I hope he can utilize, seems like if you insert the key in the lock, then insert a jewelers driver into the hole, it releases the mechanism and the barrel can be removed (thats the theory).

I have one replacement lock coming from RN but it does not have the solenoid for the transmission so I will have to short out the connection to allow the transmission to free up. Thereafter the key will be to turn the car on regardless of transmission - this is last ditch, I dont like this.

I have an additional replacement coming from Bearmach in the UK. They confirmed its the one with solenoid attached (not convinced until I see it).

I live in hope

#11 ·
Hmm..same vehicle, same problem...same solution?

#13 ·
Ok, locksmith freed it up. He used the spare key (it literally arrived the same day from the seller along with receipts/manuals etc by Fedex.)
He says the tumbler is well worn and he wouldn't trust it not to happen again, get it changed soonest.

So, I intend to change the barrel only to one of the replacemenst coming (fingers crossed). Key in ignition, turned to accessory and then press the barrel release on top , pull like crazy and hope it will pop out

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.