Steering fighting - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 22nd, 2006, 10:22 PM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

Steering fighting

Question. Currently my steering fights me when I turn right after I've been driving a while. A clanking noise comes from the front of the truck when it fights. I'm wondering if the diff is finaly going. Its had a hole that's been patched and weeping for a long time now that has finaly decided to really start leaking. Any ideas?
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 23rd, 2006, 05:59 AM
jimmy salmon
jimmy salmon
94 D90 AA Yellow

could be your CV's Tyler. When mine was on the way way out it would pull to one side or not turn at all. Iwas getting the clanking as well then it just exploded.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old October 23rd, 2006, 12:14 PM
redrover

Jimmy tell him about the time in CO when you almost went of the road at speed as the broken CV parts froze the swivel housing. JP

Tyler have you checked the fluid level in the swivel housing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 23rd, 2006, 01:13 PM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

Honestly no I haven't. I've been checking other leaks in the truck and since the swivil hasn't been leaking didn't think about it. So my next question. Will removing the drive caps and pulling the drive shaft to isolate the front axle keep the cv from turning? I know it'll stop the diff from moving and assume the cv's as well.

Jimmy Buffett

Old October 23rd, 2006, 01:37 PM
jimmy salmon
jimmy salmon
94 D90 AA Yellow

was suppost to take a left off this dirt track,bloody thing wouldn't turn. cv exploded and froze solid. was the day before the rally. lucky for me JP had spares (and the know how). Tyler if your swivels ain't leaking it means their empty

Old October 23rd, 2006, 04:35 PM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

Only time they ahve ever leaked was after i was wheeling in the winter a few years ago and managed to accumulate a nice layer of ice on the ball joints and wheels.

Jimmy Buffett

Old October 23rd, 2006, 05:03 PM
redrover

If you want you could pull the axles but the CVs have to come out with them. You would have to drive with the CDL engaged.

You should pull the CV and have a look at the inside of the CV and the condition of the inner spindle bearing. You may have more damage than you want. It is a easy project. JP
Old October 23rd, 2006, 07:33 PM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

well I just spent 2 hours fighting with a rounded off nut on the driveshaft. Someday I'll grow up and buy air tools. I'm planning on pulling the drive caps off so I can keep driving for now. Then next week get it into a shop so I can pull the cv's and check the diff.

Jimmy Buffett

Old October 23rd, 2006, 07:47 PM
jimmy salmon
jimmy salmon
94 D90 AA Yellow

not 100% sure but unless you take the CV's out you are still gonna have a problem with your steering

Old October 23rd, 2006, 10:23 PM
redrover

If you pull the drive members you will fill your hub bearings with grit and water. The CV if bad will still bind when moving in a turn position. The floating end of the CV will eventually mangle the inside of our spindle. They need to come out. You can check the condition of your CV, spindle and wheel bearings without removing the front drive shaft. Make sure you use the right size wrenches. If you fubar a nut/bolt, you will end up spending more time removing it than the whole rest of the project. lastly air tools would have just FU the nut faster on the drive shaft. Now get on with it. JP
Old October 24th, 2006, 09:46 PM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

So today i pulled the drive caps and guess what. Truck is riding as close to normal as you can get with D. So now depending on how messed up the diff is I'll get an ARB or I'll just replace the diff with stock.

Jimmy Buffett

Old November 4th, 2006, 01:16 PM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

So yesterday was spent at Trevor's shop working on the truck. My right cv was dry and the cage was broken with one of the balls poped out.Diff is fine so I'll just be getting an ARB to stick in the back.

Jimmy Buffett

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ht