Steering drop arm - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 6th, 2004, 05:06 PM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
Steering drop arm

I have beat the crap out of the drop arm with a pickle fork and it won't drop. I sprayed it with WD40 and let it sit but the thing just wont budge. Any advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 6th, 2004, 06:54 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
did you bag the crap out of it on its side? that usually does it
Old November 6th, 2004, 06:55 PM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
PT just told me to try that. Failing that I am going to heat it with a torch.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 6th, 2004, 09:03 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Kevin, hit it on the side of the arm right where the splines are. Heating it would work great but you have to watch out because you can f#%$ up the seals in the steering box with the heat transfer. Be very careful throwing a flame around that area.

Hope this helps.

Randy
Old November 7th, 2004, 12:59 AM
dameek
Dennis Meek
95 D90 #2826 Bought New

Good luck! I have spent the better part of two weeks trying in vain to remove my drop arm. I have heated it, hit it with a dead blow hammer, gone through 3 pullers (heavy duty ones) and it won't budge. I have used by Milwauke impact wrench, my new IR impact wrench along with pullers, hammers etc. Today I removed the steering box from the 90, tied it down to my workbench, put the biggest puller on it that I could find.....nothing.
When I move the drop arm back and forth I can hear it move on the shaft and see the slightest movement. The steering box shaft does not move at all. So I am thinking that the groves in the drop arm have been damaged due to wear and it is miss-aligned with the spline on the steering box.
So I am looking at several steering boxes to order. I'm trying to find any information on remanufactured boxes. I have read that there is a difference between 94 and 95 output shafts and some say that they are not interchangeable.
I know that the solution of replacing the box and drop arm is expensive, but I have spent too much time. I have done similiar repairs on my other 4X4's in an hour or so without any problems. This has bruised my male ego.
Old November 7th, 2004, 01:03 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Dennis, that sucks

Did you try wiggling it while under tension by hammering the arm left and right?
Old November 7th, 2004, 01:37 AM
dameek
Dennis Meek
95 D90 #2826 Bought New

Oh, yeah! I have tried everything that I can think of but no luck. This is the first time ever that I have been stumped by something mechanical on a vehicle. But on the bright side, I bought my 90 new in October of 95 and have had no big problems with it. The first year, LR replaced the front differential and the transmission due to failures but other than that, trouble-free. I take good care of it, it has no rust, no major damage and it is wheeled here in Washington every chance that I get. It's a huge money pit, but I love it!
Old November 7th, 2004, 02:00 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Well. My last sugestion is to cut the arm off.

I know I could not give up.
Old November 7th, 2004, 11:02 AM
Roadsiderob
Robert Dassler
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor

Dennis,
I'd say it's probably time to give up...I would not cut the arm off...the splines are possibly damaged and not worth the trouble...let the company that will remanufacture the box deal with it. They may have a way to save the part and if you chop it up you may not get your core deposit back.
The boxes should be interchangable between 1994-1995...actually, I think Classic RR, DI, and D90 boxes are all interchangable as far as I know. I think RDS has good prices on boxes. LR Genuine remanufactured boxes are a good value.
Rob
Old November 7th, 2004, 11:05 AM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250

Registry
If you leave the nut loose and then drive a little way that sometimes frees the drop arm.
I have sucessfully used heat too, nothing too vigerous just a plumbers blow lamp. for just long enough to get the oil & crud on the arm smoking & sizzeling. A friend on mine has fabricated a humungous puller, the arms have to be clamped to stop them spreading such is the force needed on really stubbon drop arms.
Old November 7th, 2004, 12:41 PM
redrover

kelly have you tried your cheap auto parts store "pitman arm puller" ? They are only 20-30 bucks and will usually pop it right off. JP
Old November 7th, 2004, 01:54 PM
dameek
Dennis Meek
95 D90 #2826 Bought New

Rob
Thanks for the input. I will call RDS tomorrow and see what they can do for me.

Dennis
Old November 7th, 2004, 02:07 PM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
JP,

I bought a puller yesterday for $14. It exploded after afew turns. Fortunetly it was under warrenty and I didn't lose any cash. I am calling it quits on the drop arm and moving on to the othe ball joints. I may just overhaul the drop arm ball joint in place and leave the drop arm on. I beat the crap out of the drop arm with a fork before I realized I was using the wrong tool. Hopefuly I did not do too much damage.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions