Steering / differential question - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 30th, 2007, 01:47 PM
Emerson00
Matt J.
None at the moment

Steering / differential question

I know it's an RRC, but any thoughts:

Symptoms:

1. steer right, there's often, but not always, a grinding sound. Generally at low speeds, sharp turns, never steering left.

2. any low speed turns, the sharper the worse it is, it's as if the axles/diff are locked and the tires kick/chirp.

3. It was a royal bitch to shift into low gear (trailer out of the water, had gone off the bottom of the ramp and was slightly stuck). It was even worse getting back into high gear. Drove / steered no different before or since.

I'm not aware of any locks (detroit, tru trac, etc) having been installed, and the 95RRC has no center diff lock.

Is this normal for Rovers? Is there something I can check?

Thanks a bunch for any suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 30th, 2007, 03:25 PM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

If that truck has a BW transfer case I'd say the fluid is pooched and it is staying locked.
Old October 30th, 2007, 03:28 PM
Emerson00
Matt J.
None at the moment

If I change the transer case fluid, might the problem go away?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 30th, 2007, 03:34 PM
Tim Scully
Tim Scully
95 D90 SW/ 95 RR LWB

I would start looking into the viscous unit in the transfer case. Instead of having a CDL this unit locks up using a fluid and clutch pack set up. As the rear driveshaft spins faster than the front this fluid becomes hot and expands, locking the clutch packs together. This causes the front drive to spin at the same speed as the rear drive shaft. Because it is a clutch pack the amount of locking can vary. If I had to guess your Viscous Unit in your t-case is locked up all the time. This isnt an uncommon problem with the Borg Worner t-cases.

This would explain the chirping and bucking and may fix your other problems but the grinding noise going around corners may be something else all together.

You can test the viscous by putting the vehicle on jack stands on the axles, all four wheels off the ground. Place the transmission shifter in neutral, spin the rear drive shaft manually from underneath the vehicle while someone else tries to hold the front shaft still. I would use a long pry bar or screw driver to hold the front shaft in the u-joint area.

The Viscous units are quite expensive from the dealer. You can alway buy an LT 230 t-case(approx 500-700 used with linkage) and have a gear driven case with selectable diff lock. You will probably have to modify your drive shafts tho.
Old October 30th, 2007, 03:54 PM
Emerson00
Matt J.
None at the moment

Assuming it's the VC...

what's the best course of action?
what's the cheapest course of action?
What's the fastest course of action?
What's the worst risk of doing nothing for a time?

Follow-up Post:

AND, BTW, thanks for the suggestions. Damn, you ask for tech around here, and you really get it!

I am most appreciative of everyone's patience and suggestions.
Old October 30th, 2007, 04:00 PM
cellulararrest
Chris Snyder
1994 D90 #614 | '07 L322 SC

Or you could just take out a drive shaft and park it on a hill. With the transmission in park it'll slowly roll down the hill still! Found that out the exciting way!

I don't think it's incredibly common, but it does happen. The chirping tires on turns suggests that it might just be your VC.
Old October 31st, 2007, 12:31 PM
Tim Scully
Tim Scully
95 D90 SW/ 95 RR LWB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerson00
Assuming it's the VC...

what's the best course of action? Spend tons of money to find you have fixed nothing
what's the cheapest course of action? Do nothing and deal with the consequenses later
What's the fastest course of action? Remove the front drive shaft and see if the problem goes away.
What's the worst risk of doing nothing for a time? Breaking internal components in tranfercase, transmission, f/r axles.

Follow-up Post:

AND, BTW, thanks for the suggestions. Damn, you ask for tech around here, and you really get it!

I am most appreciative of everyone's patience and suggestions.
LOL be careful what you ask for hahahaha.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
differential