Steering Damper recommendations - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 6th, 2012, 12:47 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
I do not believe, given that you have the proper swivel pre load, that a Bilstein damper will cause a push.
I just did this exact same job; rebuilt both swivels, new pins and bushes and bearings, new seals, new tie rod ends, and a Bilstein damper. Adjusted the cross rod so that the steering wheel is centered and the tie rod for zero toe in. The steering is dead perfect, I can drive hands off and brake hands off with no pull.

There is only one way to determine your swivel pre load. Until you come back and write that you have x number of pounds pull on a particular side you're just whistling in the wind. Once you know what your numbers are, it can be determined whether this is part of your steering issues or not.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 6th, 2012, 01:27 PM
Sandt
Sandt Michener
1984 Ninety

Registry
True, I don't have the numbers for the pre load. All I know is that with the damper it turns, without it I can drive hands off with no pull.
I may be simplifying matters, I will still look into the pre load, but it just drives great without the damper! It would seem that that was the turning factor.
Old April 6th, 2012, 01:30 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Ya, if the pre load is too light, then the (wussy) force of a Bilstien might push it if you take your hands off. But if you are driving normally; that is, we hope, with at least one hand on the steering then the damper shouldn't be shoving the steering off kilter.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 6th, 2012, 02:09 PM
ipgregory
Ian Gregory
'97 D90 ST #1008

Registry
I have a bilstein damper and mine tracks straight with no issues. I understand in principal why people suggest they 'push' the steering but I agree with Bill that it shouldn't be an issue if everything is set up correctly.

Ian
Old April 7th, 2012, 12:54 AM
owen
Owen Jones
Yellow`95 D90 ST #2188

Registry
I agree that the symptoms quoted could point to steering geometry, especially since the lift has been reduced from 6inches to standard. Also check for correct toe-in, those symptoms are typical of too little, no toe-in or even some toe-out.

Take the damper off, test drive it and you will really notice if it is geometry - symptoms will be exaggerated. As mentioned already the steering should behave predictably and well with the damper removed. The damper shouldn't be used to compensate for geometry issues just save broken thumbs off-road!

And yes, best choice is OME - if you do need one.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions