Steering Column - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 11th, 2014, 05:00 PM
petminded
David
1995 Defender 90- Yellow- Soft Top

Steering Column

Hi All!
After my master light switch replacement I went to replace the plastic housing for the steering column but don't know how it came off (I was not the one that removed it). It seams straight forward but as things are fragile I don't want to bend the plastic too much.
Do I need to take off the instrument cluster to put the cover back properly? Also should I remove the steering wheel (I would prefer not to have to)?

Thanks all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 12th, 2014, 12:26 PM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

No to both. It's fiddily around the stalks getting the gators to seat but I think 4 screws on the underside hold it together.
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old December 12th, 2014, 12:31 PM
javelinadave
-
-

What Tyler said but I would like to add that if it isn't installed correctly your turn signals won't work correctly. If they won't come on or won't cancel you need to re-adjust the plastic covers till they work again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 12th, 2014, 01:24 PM
petminded
David
1995 Defender 90- Yellow- Soft Top

Thanks. Knew someone would know
Old December 12th, 2014, 01:26 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by petminded View Post
Thanks. Knew someone would know
This place is chocked full of knowledgeable people and know-it-alls.
Old December 12th, 2014, 05:30 PM
kevincdoyle
Kevin C. Doyle
1995 NAS D90 Coniston Green SW

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by petminded View Post
Hi All! After my master light switch replacement I went to replace the plastic housing for the steering column but don't know how it came off (I was not the one that removed it). It seams straight forward but as things are fragile I don't want to bend the plastic too much. Do I need to take off the instrument cluster to put the cover back properly? Also should I remove the steering wheel (I would prefer not to have to)? Thanks all!
I gotta tell you and I know nothing but it was so much easier for me as a challenged shade tree, when I replaced the ignition switch, to remove the the entire cluster-mebbe 10 screws-to make sure I had the plastic shroud in properly, no steering wheel rubbing, etc. also a great time to replace any burnt out bulbs and do a little dustin' and clean in' in there...

Also, don't use an electric screwdriver for the shroud itself. Those nutserts are sitting in 21 year old plastic..

"I actually like to paint some of my smaller parts......"

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions