Steering Clunk - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 14th, 2007, 04:33 PM
D90DRC
D Cantrell
1997 D90SW

Steering Clunk

Today I pulled into the driveway and heard a really loud clunk.... Then when I went to center the steering wheel, it clunked several more times. I was stooped at this point...

I crawled under it and everything looked normal. I then backed out and drove about 1/2 mile and pulled into the store parking and the clunk was even louder. I then went lock to lock several time and the noise was louder and i felt a shudder, then the steering wheel moved about 20 deg from its center position. The tires were pointed straight but now the wheel was off. I drove it home and it still remained the same position,It drove fine no drive line noise like a broken 1/2 shaft or CV

Question has the Box gone south? Or should I look a the steering shat joints?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 14th, 2007, 08:56 PM
Andrew Vick
Andrew Vick
95 D90

I think it's the joints took a "shat", to paraphrase from above. You need to be under it with someone turning the wheel. It will be self-evident. Sounding like your drop arm ball joint shat the bed as in locked to one side.
Old June 15th, 2007, 08:26 AM
D90DRC
D Cantrell
1997 D90SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Vick
I think it's the joints took a "shat", to paraphrase from above. You need to be under it with someone turning the wheel. It will be self-evident. Sounding like your drop arm ball joint shat the bed as in locked to one side.

Andrew, I think yor right about the ball joint... I'm going to swap it out and the steering "shaft" u-joints thrown in for good measure (there rusted up) . I can't believe RN wants 75 each for the u-joints...

The box sounded OK when i cycled it through also no leaking. My understanding of the box when it goes it gets all loose and slopy... I could see if i was climbing a ledge and grenade it but this thing has not seen off highway in over 2 years
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 17th, 2007, 07:01 PM
andyrad
Andy Radlgruber
None.

Have fun getting that drop arm ball joint out. Once the nut is off the top and the cir-clip is off the bottom, support the arm with a solid piece of metal and get a very long aluminum drift to strike the ball joint downwards from above the radiator. It's much easier than trying to smack it from under the truck. Unless of course you have the ultimate, the correct tool for removing ball joints. Use plenty of penetrant, mouses milk if you can get it.
Old June 21st, 2007, 08:29 AM
epninety
Dave Haynes
Ibex 240 2.8TGV

I think you want to take a *very*careful look at this. If the steering wheel shifted in relation to the wheels, then either something is loose, bent or broken...

1. Bent track rod or drag link. Unlikely, as usually you have to hit something hard enough to know about it for this to happen.

2. ball joint (threaded portion) moving in the drag link or track rod. Never seen it but it could happen.

3. Steering box. My steering box was making loud 'cracks' when steering lock to lock with the wheels on the deck. No other obvious problems, but I changed out the box to cure the problem.

If you've got a lift the changed angle can cause the ball joint on the pitman arm to bang on the arm as you go from steering one way to the other, but it doesn't account for the changed position of the steering wheel.
Old March 22nd, 2015, 03:54 PM
minch77
Minch
1997/Defender 90 SW

Registry
I need help. I recently put my D-90 back on the road after is was laid up for a year. I changed the shocks, springs, brakes, and tie rods. I haven't driven it much but there has been a "clunking" noise under the drivers side (most notably) when turning into my driveway or when making tight radius turns.

Today I popped the tie rod ends from the ball joint to see if the joint pivoted smoothly. When I moved it by hand it seemed smooth. I put everything back together and still clunking. When I drive straight and turn the wheel back and forth I can replicate the noise. I noticed the ball joint-side tie rod Clunks as it reaches the end of it's travel length as I move the wheel back and forth. I noticed the steering damper and its' bushings are shot out. I can spin the damper by hand and move it around. Would that be the culprit of this noise? Any other things I should check? Below is a video I shot as I went back and forth into my driveway then I drove straight turning the wheel quickly back and forth. You can hear the clunking but it sounds more like a crack on camera. Any advice would be great.

Old March 22nd, 2015, 04:05 PM
Ignotus
gene
1960 109, w/200TDI

I don't know defenders much but in the video it looks like the noise is more related to the suspension than the steering, going by the timing of the noise and the coils movement. Do you have anyone who can look/listen while the car is jacked up? Or turn the wheel for you? Does the noise happen when you bounce the suspension? Inquiring minds and all that crap.....
Blog;
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old March 22nd, 2015, 04:49 PM
Arlo
Kurt Ohlendorf
1997/130CC

Registry
Have a look at the drop arm ball joint!
If the rubber gasket is worn, the ball joint is worn too.
Try to force the steering rod up and down.
If there is any movement to be know, you should exchange it.

You might follow this manual Das Offroad Forum: Lenkstockhebelgelenk ersetzen or have a lot of fun as promised above.
Old March 22nd, 2015, 05:23 PM
Arlo
Kurt Ohlendorf
1997/130CC

Registry
Hmm, the clunking noise happens at the same time.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions