Steering Box Rebuild - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 17th, 2011, 07:17 PM
punter
Scott
1966 Series IIA

Steering Box Rebuild

I picked up a complete seal kit and pulled my steering box (Atwest) to rebuild it... I've got the manual with all the directions and I can't get past step one.

I cannot even get the drop arm off this thing. I've got it soaking in penetrating oil right now, but it doesn't look corroded (in fact the box doesn't even look that old). I will admit that I am just trying to use a standard 2-jaw gear/pully puller. From what I can see once the nut and washer are off, there is nothing holding the drop arm on except for friction. Am I missing something? Is it that this puller simply isn't sufficient? Anyone have any tricks for this?

Step two doesn't appear as though it's going to be any easier. There is a lock ring that I'm supposed to spin/rotate until the end is about .5" away from a hole that is drilled through the housing. Once in position, I can use a punch to push the lock ring out enough that I can get a screwdriver behind it and pry it out. I can't get the ring to budge though (in order to spin it into position). Tried penetrating oil and It's soaking right now as well, but it isn't corroded either. Any tips/tricks/hints?

Thanks,
Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 17th, 2011, 07:40 PM
nikojo
John
D90 SW -- 2.8PS

Try some heat in addition to the oil. Might need a three-jaw puller. Make sure you are "pushing" on the rod and not "pulling", ie the correct direction.

I'm sure you know you can get a "rebuilt" unit from Meridian (has improved bushing design). Also highly recommend switching to Disco pitman arm which allows you to use a "normal" tie rod end that is very easy to remove.
Old July 18th, 2011, 01:00 PM
Roverchef
Jake K.
95 D90 SW

With all the time and effort you'll spend in rebuilding...it's cheaper to just replace. Normally the box's leak due to something inside worn out (gears,bushings,ect). The seal kits don't work that often unless you are meticulous about it and check for anything else that is worn out besides seals and have the correct tools and know-how. Seems simple on paper. Good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 18th, 2011, 01:58 PM
GYM
Gary
97 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by punter View Post
I cannot even get the drop arm off this thing. I've got it soaking in penetrating oil right now, but it doesn't look corroded (in fact the box doesn't even look that old). I will admit that I am just trying to use a standard 2-jaw gear/pully puller. From what I can see once the nut and washer are off, there is nothing holding the drop arm on except for friction. Am I missing something? Is it that this puller simply isn't sufficient? Anyone have any tricks for this?

Thanks,
Scott
I had this problem too. Finally got so frustrated I took the box to a shop that did steering box repairs and paid them a few bucks to pull the dumb arm for me. Took him about 10 seconds. Consider this option. Your lower blood pressure reading will thank you.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
rebuild