steering box lock & adjuster nut- stuck - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 25th, 2011, 12:07 PM
PMKColorado
Paul Koentges
'95 White D-90, #2625

steering box lock & adjuster nut- stuck

Can’t bust loose the larger lock nut surronding the adjuster screw…is it time/safe to use an impact gun? I replaced all the tie rod ends/joints pitman arm joint etc and still have a little too much steering play. Tried using an 18” breaker bar after loosening the steering box far enough to get a socket (with 3/8”Craftsman universal joint) on the nut…broke the joint. Soaked for days with PB Blaster…I could probably get a 1/2" universal joint or universal socket on the lock nut in order to try the impact wrench, however, I don't want to snap anything...ideas. (Can't see a lock washer crushed over the nut, similar to steering box to frame bolts, nor do I think it's reverse thread.)
Attached Files
File Type: doc steering box.doc (49.5 KB, 55 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 25th, 2011, 01:09 PM
nikojo
John
D90 SW -- 2.8PS

Hit it with a lot of heat from a torch and PB blast again then hit it with impact wrench. The impact wrench is less likely to break the bolt than a breaker bar......be careful with that!

It might be time to spring for a nice Meridian box.
Old April 25th, 2011, 03:48 PM
PMKColorado
Paul Koentges
'95 White D-90, #2625

not really comfortable hitting it with heat...don't want to cook the fluid or seals. D-90 only has 68K so the box should still be good...I will try the impact unless someone else chimes in...

thanks

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions