Steering box leak - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 12th, 2013, 09:05 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Steering box leak

I have had this annoying steering box leak for months. A drip here a drip there. I finally got fed up and cleaned up everything and found the leak to be on the lowest point of the box (very accessible). Basically the shaft that connects to the steering arm/rod.

Has anybody successfully changed that gasket/bushing before. I am aware of meridian but if I can change this in place it would be much less labor intensive.

Thanks for the help.

Old May 12th, 2013, 11:01 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

It won't last. There is a bushing in the box that wears which causes the play which causes the leak. Meridian replaces this with a bearing.
Old May 13th, 2013, 07:54 AM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

I read through this. It does not look that bad.

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=16765

Old May 13th, 2013, 08:02 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjfslaughter View Post
I read through this. It does not look that bad.

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=16765
Removing the drop arm can be nasty. Really nasty.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old May 13th, 2013, 08:55 AM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post
Removing the drop arm can be nasty. Really nasty.
Yep, you can say that again.

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...3&postcount=55

For the whole thread:

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ead.php?t=9482
Old May 13th, 2013, 10:40 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Maybe yours is a good canidate for some lucas stop leak. I drain my steering yearly add a pint of it and refill the rest with maxlife transmission fluid. All three Rovers under my supervision do not have leaking steering boxes. The hoses OTOH not so much.
Old May 13th, 2013, 11:09 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

Harbor freight has a pitman arm puller that I used in conjuction with my impact hammer that just removed my stuck, frozen one off my RRC :http://www.harborfreight.com/tie-rod...html?hftref=cj If you use your 20% off coupon, it will run you a whopping $8. Best tool investment that I have made in a long time. I think the impact hammer made a big difference--it was off in under 1 minutes (after 2 days of trying other methods).
Old May 13th, 2013, 11:54 AM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis View Post
Harbor freight has a pitman arm puller that I used in conjuction with my impact hammer that just removed my stuck, frozen one off my RRC :http://www.harborfreight.com/tie-rod...html?hftref=cj If you use your 20% off coupon, it will run you a whopping $8. Best tool investment that I have made in a long time. I think the impact hammer made a big difference--it was off in under 1 minutes (after 2 days of trying other methods).

I have one of those. Worked great when I did the Tie Rod upgrade and ends. I am going to start with the stop leak first. I only leaves 1 drop over night (every night). When I slow down on this home renovation I will take a Saturday morning and pull the box.
Old May 13th, 2013, 11:56 AM
110Landy
Paul
1984 110 2.5D

I have the old steering box out of my 1984 110. It leaks, hence the replacement, but if you are interested I would sell it for a reasonable price and you could have it rebuilt and then do the swap. I figured I would rebuild it at some point so I would have a spare, but time is not cooperating.
Old May 14th, 2013, 08:22 AM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover4x4 View Post
Maybe yours is a good canidate for some lucas stop leak. I drain my steering yearly add a pint of it and refill the rest with maxlife transmission fluid. All three Rovers under my supervision do not have leaking steering boxes. The hoses OTOH not so much.
Thanks for the suggestion. I put some in at lunch yesterday, last night I cleaned off the parts with brake cleaner and a pressure washer, and air dried it with the leaf blower.... No drips in the driveway last night or when I got to work this morning. There is a little seepage but not enough to make a drip. Thank you. This might have bought me a little time for a "planned sterring box service".

------ Follow up post added May 14th, 2013 08:23 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 110Landy View Post
I have the old steering box out of my 1984 110. It leaks, hence the replacement, but if you are interested I would sell it for a reasonable price and you could have it rebuilt and then do the swap. I figured I would rebuild it at some point so I would have a spare, but time is not cooperating.

Thank you for the offer. At this time I am going to plan to change the box when I do the suspension later this summer.
Old January 22nd, 2014, 03:35 PM
JFD
Julien Dalbin
05 Tdi 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjfslaughter View Post
At this time I am going to plan to change the box when I do the suspension later this summer.
I have the same issue, steering box leaking at his lower point.

How did you solve your leak ?

Anyone have a part number for the seal kit ?

Cheers
Old January 22nd, 2014, 04:11 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Seal kit is STC1042 or STC2848, BUT from my digging around the leak usually is due to internal wear. So, that said I opted NOT to replace my seal and just wait it out and see what happens. My leak actually appears to have slowed down or gone away, we'll see if that lasts.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old January 22nd, 2014, 09:01 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
Seal kit is STC1042 or STC2848, BUT from my digging around the leak usually is due to internal wear. So, that said I opted NOT to replace my seal and just wait it out and see what happens. My leak actually appears to have slowed down or gone away, we'll see if that lasts.
Same here. I used that stop leak and it slowed it. Tank is stays full for the most partI think I top it off about every 4 months. Steering box is always "moist" though.
Old January 22nd, 2014, 09:13 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
You said "moist".
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old January 22nd, 2014, 10:53 PM
SMac
Sam
NAS 97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
You said "moist".
Duncan Hines Chocolate Cake Mix moist?

I wish I had one drip a night from my steering. I have to refill every week.
Old January 23rd, 2014, 07:30 AM
JFD
Julien Dalbin
05 Tdi 90

This is where the plot thickens, 3 steering box model, 3 bolts, 4 bolts and 6 bolts.

wtf

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions