steering box - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 19th, 2009, 09:04 PM
Paul Davis
Paul Davis
97 ST

steering box

Mine doesn't leak, that seems to be the most common thread. Instead, mine makes a pop/clunk when the wheel is turned either right or left. The sound is definately coming from the box. It has never leaked and it is not now. Time for a new box?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 19th, 2009, 10:08 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Are you sure it is not a CV joint in the axle and are you sure the u-joints on the drive shaft are not bad?
Old April 20th, 2009, 12:55 PM
Paul Davis
Paul Davis
97 ST

How I tested it was with the truck flat and not moving. My wife turned the steering wheel a quarter turn or so back and forth and the sound seems to come from the box. Would the CV or U-joint make a sound if the truck was stationary? The drag link and tie rod ends look okay and they seem to move appropriately without any unneccesary movement or play.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 20th, 2009, 01:49 PM
jimmy salmon
jimmy salmon
94 D90 AA Yellow

Paul, The CV would still clunk turning the steering wheel when stationary if its on its way out

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old April 20th, 2009, 05:02 PM
pushngo
Randy Williams

These boxes tend to bend the sector shaft when you run larger tires. I have bent 2 so far 1/4" on the last one. Mine would push the steering wheel out of wack about 1/2 a turn though and it would wander on the hiway. If you disconnect the drag link and the steering colum and turn the shaft with vise grips or what ever you will feel tight spots if it is bent the tighter the more it is bent
Old April 20th, 2009, 09:02 PM
Paul Davis
Paul Davis
97 ST

Thanks. I will check the CV and the sector shaft, although I have no idea what that is. I will have to look into that.

Paul
Old April 20th, 2009, 10:09 PM
Rocketman
Scott Y
95 D90 SW, 2003 Disco II, 93 D110

Also, check your ball joints. I had a clunk. Replaced the ball joints as well as the drop arm "ball joint" and the "clunk" went away. The shaft from the drop arm ball joint looked to a bit bowed (possibly from hitting something hard?)
Old April 21st, 2009, 01:17 PM
pushngo
Randy Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Davis
Thanks. I will check the CV and the sector shaft, although I have no idea what that is. I will have to look into that.

Paul

The sector shaft is the large shaft that the pitman arm is attached to. Just see that the smaller shaft that attaches to the steering wheel shaft moves smoothly when the drag link and steering wheel shaft is removed
Old April 21st, 2009, 04:30 PM
revor
Keith Kreutzer
Old beat up 110
D-90 Source Vendor

Sector shaft not only do they bend.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fix8.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	111.0 KB
ID:	18913  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Big, Red and ... aaa Red..

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions