steel headgaskets - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 4th, 2012, 09:52 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
steel headgaskets

Is there any reason not to use the steel head gaskets? I will be using head studs.
Advertisement

Old March 4th, 2012, 11:33 PM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

It raises the compression so you may want to run a higher octane gas or retard you timing a bit but it may not be an issue. I think they are cheaper than the newer style but then the questioni is....what did the engineers see in revising the material, must have been something to change the formula. I am sure someone with way more knowledge than I will speak to your question. I am currently running the steelies on my 3.9 vs. the composite type.
Old March 5th, 2012, 06:42 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

I wouldn't (and don't ) hesitate to run steel gaskets if you use head studs. Better compression but not too much for 91 octane. Don't do it in a motor that is designed for composite gaskets though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 5th, 2012, 07:36 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

It's so long since mine were replaced under warranty (95my) that I forget what it came with and what the engine now has. But there was a series of HG failures that prompted the change.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old March 5th, 2012, 11:30 AM
Gren_T
Gren Thomas
1985 90 300tdi auto

'95my engines would have come with steel gaskets, the composite gasket was introduced for heads that had been skimmed also to compensate somewhat for block face warp which is almost never checked following a HG failure.

If the mating surfaces are good i'd go for steel, if the engine history is unknown and being rebuilt following a HG failure or general rebuild i'd put composite gaskets on to be safe.

regards all
Gren
Old March 5th, 2012, 03:19 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Its in my Defender, Ive noticed a little "dampness" at the front and the back of the PS head. Its got steel in it now, I didnt want to loose compression and will obviously have the heads surfaced etc.
Old March 5th, 2012, 10:00 PM
Alex C
alex
1985 D90 200Tdi

Mls

By steel gasket do you mean Multi Layered Steel (MLS )? do you have a part number ?
Old March 6th, 2012, 04:37 PM
Gren_T
Gren Thomas
1985 90 300tdi auto

MLS gaskets are used on the TDI's - I've installed an MLS gasket on my 300tdi when I did the head gasket recently, I've never seen them used nor do I think they are available for the V8.

The original V8 head gaskets are often called steel gaskets but are correctly called Tin gaskets, the composite gaskets are tin gaskets with a soft coating on both side.

hope this helps
regards
Gren

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
gas, gaskets