Stealth Subwoofer Install - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old August 4th, 2005, 06:59 AM
Christian Shea
1997 Defender 90 Wagon
Stealth Subwoofer Install

Don't know how many people on the forum want hifi audio in their d90s but I really think the stereo is lacking so will be completely redoing it. I stumbled across a great company that sells direct and is very inexpensive for the quality of their gear. I am going to build a custom box for behind the jump seats in the hardtop. It will slot behind them where there is the body curvature. What I am wondering is if anyone has wired aftermarket amps to their factory head unit and had success? Also whether or not this was an easy process and whether or not there is anything else to consider. I will post pictures once I build the box. Likely in the next few days. Here's a link to the subs I am building the box for if anyone is interested. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I require your largest, cheapest, most alcoholic brewed beverage.
Old August 4th, 2005, 07:54 PM
I have never seen a rover in person
I want an amp and some better speakers but I am afriad they will get wet and die.

*not legal advice*
Old August 4th, 2005, 08:32 PM
Chris Davis
94 D90, 88 RRC
Ron--get Marine speakers/amps--that is what they are designed around and they sound great.
Old August 4th, 2005, 09:21 PM
Mike Hippert
94 D-90 Grinding Rover
Originally Posted by Davis
Ron--get Marine speakers/amps--that is what they are designed around and they sound great.
Hmm, I wouldn't go that far, I asked some speaker/amp manufacturers the same thing and the reply I got back was they are "better" but not submersible. I was thinking buy some cheap crap and putting it in a Tupperware box (yeah I know my specialty), the only thing is they get a little hot so I thought I would get microwave safe stuff.
Don't forget to Search first then ask questions later! The loose nut behind the wheel
Old August 7th, 2005, 07:53 AM
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW
The Tupperware idea should work - with a breather system!

Cut a hole, install a plastic breather intake tube, cut another hole for an exhaust tube. On the exhaust end install a small computer-type fan to draw the airflow out. Simply position the tubes higher up than your seatbox into the cabin - cut a hole behind the seatbox and tiewrap them to the cage.

Install a pair of box speakers in the back roof area - above the windows. There's plenty of space for a good size box with a full range driver. As for the amp, how about right behind the cage behind your head? You can install it in an enclosure with a couple brackets screwed to the cage. Drill holes for airflow or use the breather system. You can find some low profile amps that are more than adequate. I use an old ADS PQ10.

Yes, the breather system sounds overboard but for you guys who just have to have all that water in your ride it's worth a look.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions