Staun internal beadlocks - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 2nd, 2006, 09:21 PM
jam90
JAMES MARKS
1995 D90 NAS ST #2043

Staun internal beadlocks

Do any of folks use Staun internal beadlocks?
With steel wheels or stock alloys?
I've read the Staun literature...
But I want to know the real world pros and cons...

-James Marks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 2nd, 2006, 11:54 PM
Scott 9835
Scott Falter
95 D90

I almost got them. I heard they work great. I like how they lock both the inside and the outside of the rim and they are DOT leagal. I found a good deal on some allied bead locks so got those instead, They only lock the out side they are not street legal and the tire shops here in town will not mount the tires you got to do it your self. The staun internal beadlocks seem the best way to go but they are more expensive, you got to modife your rim with a new shrader valve hole and then get every thing lined up correctly, (so you will proble have to do that your self too.) If i could of afforded them i would of got them instead.
Old March 3rd, 2006, 04:16 AM
Shane@EVS
Roverhybrids

What is your reasoning for wanting them? Or How do you intend to use them?

They are a pain to mount but work very well. DOT legal. I don't think I would use them personally since they are so hard to mount. I would rather have some Hutchinson wheels. http://www.rockmonsterwheels.com/index.htm
I've contacted them about becoming a dealer but haven't verified availablity for rovers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 3rd, 2006, 01:06 PM
jam90
JAMES MARKS
1995 D90 NAS ST #2043

The reason for wanting them is just safety- peace of mind - I like to air down for trips out in the desert and though it's never happened to me... I'm nervous about the tires/beads sliding or going flat.

I don't air down below 15 PSI or do any real serious rock crawling.

Is this overkill?

As far as mounting - I would have the local Staun distributor mount them for me.

-James Marks
Old March 4th, 2006, 01:45 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by jam90
The reason for wanting them is just safety- peace of mind - I like to air down for trips out in the desert and though it's never happened to me... I'm nervous about the tires/beads sliding or going flat.

I don't air down below 15 PSI or do any real serious rock crawling.

Is this overkill?

As far as mounting - I would have the local Staun distributor mount them for me.

-James Marks
At 15 psi, you don't come anywhere near needing these. I have been running 10 to 5 psi on no bead locks in some serious rocks and only popped a bead once, on 5 psi. In fact, I think many people buy beadlocks who run rocks and don't need them. If you want more info, there was a thread on pirate with some feedback from people who have run these. I have not, so I can't tell you how good or bad they are.

I would honestly just skip these, get a can of Ether, and spend the money somewhere else.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old March 4th, 2006, 10:03 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

I'm with Dave on this, sounds like you don't need them. Get a power tank and you can inflate your tires and reset beads with it if one does pop off. It really depends on the terrain you are in, it seems like every time we go out at least 1 or 2 people pop a bead, sometimes at as high as 15 psi, but that is pretty aggressive driving in rocky muddy conditions.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions