Station Wagon Van Side Rivets question - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 30th, 2016, 04:32 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Station Wagon Van Side Rivets question

Hi all,

I have early 90 station wagon van sides, and these were originally designed with 11 rivets on the face, as well as a bolt-on flange for the door seal.

I have noticed that later 90 station wagon van sides have a slightly different design: no rivets on the face, and an integrated flange for the door seal.

After putting in replacement aluminum, I'm at the point in my rebuild where I can choose to drill the holes for the 11 rivets on my face (like the original early style) or not drill the holes.

I also have the choice to drill the holes to mount the original bolt-on flange for the door seal, or spot weld in an integrated flange for the door seal.

Is there an advantage to using one design over the other? Is the early design more robust, since the steel braces are riveted to the face? Or does it matter? Is the integrated flange better than the early flange? Or is it all just a wash and doesn't really matter?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 30th, 2016, 04:40 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
some pics
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	early.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	22.2 KB
ID:	146345   Click image for larger version

Name:	late.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	146346  

Old March 30th, 2016, 05:14 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
From James Taylor’s awesome “Land Rover Defender, 90 and 110 Range: 30 Years of the Coil-Sprung 4x4 models”:

[for MY 1989] "The key changes had been designed for the Station Wagon models, affecting their roof and upper side panels. However, where these panels were also used on hardtop derivatives, the hardtops also benefitted. The biggest change was to a smooth roof panel with no external ribs; these had been replaced by longitudinal stiffeners in side the roof. The upper body side panels had also been redesigned to give a smooth exterior finish without visible rivets or spot welds; a new frame and skin structure made this possible."

So is it better to keep the van sides period correct since I have a ribbed roof?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 30th, 2016, 05:26 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

I prefer the [hopefully galvanized] inner panels with rivets, but I am old school.
Old March 30th, 2016, 05:34 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
I prefer the [hopefully galvanized] inner panels with rivets, but I am old school.
Yep, galvanized finally Thanks for the vote ron

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions