station wagon side windows - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 19th, 2011, 07:39 PM
Chris Velardi
Chris Velardi
1975 101FC

station wagon side windows

Anyone have good instructions on how to take a part, and reassemble the Defender Station wagon rear side windows? Mine are leaking and rattling. (I'm assuming the 90 and 110 rear side windows are the same.
Advertisement

Old October 20th, 2011, 07:41 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Can't recall if they are the same. But I found the aluminum rivets that hold them in place fail over time. Peel back the rubber outer strip on the outside of the window to expose the mounting rivets. Drill them out, then take the window apart on the bench. Far easier that way.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old October 20th, 2011, 10:20 AM
Chris Velardi
Chris Velardi
1975 101FC

They standard rivets ? I was thinking of replacing with small screws with nylock nuts and washers to get a more even seal. I just don't know what internal slide/ non slid parts are available and the proper way to dissemble reassemble. I suppose if I had the right replacement parts I could just dig in and experiment
Advertisement

Old October 20th, 2011, 10:40 AM
kinetic
Kinetic Adventures
TDI's

Out of curiosity, how quiet are proper side windows in a station wagon supposed to be. Mine rattle over every bump. How dose one know if it's because of rivet failure (as opposed to precision British engineering)

Thanks!
Old October 20th, 2011, 11:32 AM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

Remove the outside plastic/rubber cover. Drill out the rivets. Carefully pry out the window, as the body can bend. On each end of the window assembly there are screws to be removed (4 total) but you only need to remove one on each end. You can now separate the frame into top and bottom components. New felt, track and perimeter seal (between frame & body) is all you'll need besides rivets. When installing rivets, have someone apply pressure with a nut driver from the inside in order to keep the body up tight to the window frame.

If someone needs a complete RH window assembly (with extra glass (2) components), I have one for sale.
Old October 20th, 2011, 04:34 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuclearmonkey View Post
Out of curiosity, how quiet are proper side windows in a station wagon supposed to be. Mine rattle over every bump. How dose one know if it's because of rivet failure (as opposed to precision British engineering)

Thanks!
You need to figure out if some rivets have failed and the window is rattling, or the felt strips in the channel are worn and allowing the glass to rattle. Both are possible.

I can't recall on the rivet size, it has been a while but I do believe I managed to find a std. rivet that worked.

Old October 20th, 2011, 04:49 PM
kinetic
Kinetic Adventures
TDI's

Ahh... so glass rattle equals felt issue (rattling in the window frame), else, window frame rattle equals rivets loose and rattling within the body? Are they normally quiet over bumps, or is it just a degree of rattle?

Thanks!!
Old October 21st, 2011, 08:02 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
They should be quiet over bumps. I would start at the rivets first. I found the upper door-side edges and lower tail side to often fail first on SW's. just take a few fingers and try to pry/push the edges of the window frame on the outside with very little force to see if you have any movement. You should have none.

Old October 21st, 2011, 08:46 AM
kinetic
Kinetic Adventures
TDI's

Thanks! Will give it a whirl
Old November 8th, 2011, 10:02 AM
kinetic
Kinetic Adventures
TDI's

Does anyone know where to get just the replacement seals for the side windows? I have one side that rattles like crazy, and the other leaks. I was told other than try and stuff some weatherstripping in the channel, the only other option is to buy all new side windows as they no longer sell the seal by itself. Also, what is the overall process - drill out the rivets, disassemble, and then reassemble? Thanks so much in advance!!

-Aaron
Old November 8th, 2011, 11:34 AM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

When mine were rattling, the largest source of my rattle was the catch thing. It is metal, seating against the metal frame. I used to stuff a piece of cardboard or a wood wedge in between the catch & the frame to remove the free-play. Another way to make the latch to catch more firmly is to buy some automotive door edging (plastic w/ glue in the channel, it's typical use is to prevent door dings and door edge protection) and put it on the sliding window forward edge. This will make the window longer and wider and help the seat into the worn felt and assist in "binding-up" the catch.

------ Follow up post added November 8th, 2011 08:49 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuclearmonkey View Post
Does anyone know where to get just the replacement seals for the side windows? I have one side that rattles like crazy, and the other leaks. I was told other than try and stuff some weatherstripping in the channel, the only other option is to buy all new side windows as they no longer sell the seal by itself. Also, what is the overall process - drill out the rivets, disassemble, and then reassemble? Thanks so much in advance!!

-Aaron
With a little creativity (I'll assume we're talking about the window felts as you say seals as there is also a seal between the body and the window frame) you could make some felt seals yourself. Felt seals are still available as weatherstripping for residential home doors. Cut this stuff(felt) to the correct width & length, employ some rubber cement as adhesive and you'll have a fix. If you're going to go in this far, might I suggest replacing the plastic track in the bottom too. RN has the plastic track.

Many people here have mentioned that the rivets get loose & cause the rattle. Might I suggest that upon replacement of these rivets that the window be glued in with some silicon sealant.
Old November 8th, 2011, 04:34 PM
kinetic
Kinetic Adventures
TDI's

Hey Dennis,
Thanks for the suggestions. I've found out I was misinformed, and indeed Rover's North does carry the parts individually. I like the idea of the silicon sealant when reinstalling. Think while I'm at it, I am going to replace quite a bit of the pieces.

Cheers!

-Aaron

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
window, windows