Station Wagon rattling rear window fix - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 11th, 2010, 09:47 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

Station Wagon rattling rear window fix

A couple weeks ago my rear sliding window started rattling. I started to look at the felt, especially at the top corner where it was really packed out and thought that if I took a screw driver and rubbed on it I might be able to soften it up to hold the window better. Nope. It just came out of the channel when I tried that. So, with the felt out of the corner, I stuck a small piece (about 3/4" long, 1/4" thick and the width of the channel) piece of closed-cell foam and stuck it up in the channel behind the felt and pushed the felt back into place. Worked great, no more rattle, the window shuts fully and didn't cost me anything. Took all of a minute but I did milk it out to a full beer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 11th, 2010, 09:54 AM
GaryBaxter
Gary Baxter
None

Thanks for the tip; mine is rattling also.
Old June 11th, 2010, 09:56 AM
kolvedic
Bill Lewis
1995 White SW 339/500

Registry
I used a small piece of shelf lining from my tool box and a putty knife to slide it all up in there.
Advertisement

Old June 11th, 2010, 12:26 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Here is some pix of how to replace the felt if you ever get so inclined.

First remove the rubber strip around the window channel.
Drill out all the rivets.
Pop the window free.
Remove a screw that secures the center upright.
Remove the screws at the front of the frame where the top and bottom sections join together.
Pull frame apart far enough to get front piece of glass out.
Remove all remaining rotted felt.
Install new felt, you can split it in two pieces, one on each side of the seam.
Replace glass.
Put everything back together.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4582 - Resized.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	28471   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4577 - Resized.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	28472  

Name:	DSCF4581 - Resized.jpg
Views:	357
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	28473   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4578 - Resized.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	118.5 KB
ID:	28474  

Name:	DSCF4575 - Resized.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	118.4 KB
ID:	28475  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old June 11th, 2010, 07:41 PM
the_eaze
Eric Brown
1997 Arles SW

Mine was rattling so much it made me insane. I finally ordered the parts and replaced the felt and track according to what Jim has posted above. Worked well, absolutely solved the issue. Pain in the ass to do but it worked!
Old October 30th, 2010, 09:50 PM
Reese_D90
Reese
97 D90 ST and 93 D110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_eaze View Post
Mine was rattling so much it made me insane. I finally ordered the parts and replaced the felt and track according to what Jim has posted above. Worked well, absolutely solved the issue. Pain in the ass to do but it worked!
Who did you order the parts from??
thanks
Old March 10th, 2012, 08:19 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Choose to bump an old thread..

I bought that kit from that guy thats selling them.

I meant to take pictures and even attempt a "write-up", I forgot to take photos and I am not a writer.,.

The replacement material for the felt is top notch, I am sure you could find this at a parts house. .I hope it will last a very long time however given the amount of mud and offroading I do the verdict will be out in 10 years. My windows have been rattling for almost 7 years, I finally got tired of it. I was going to order the felt from RN but this appears to be high quality, the felt lasted a very long time.

It is worth while to mask all of the truck around your work area, I scratched a few places when I was replacing the rivets. I ground off the tip of the rivet gun so that it would fit in the window frame without scratching it, one side looks like shit the other not so bad (more masking tape).

Its a FUCKING BITCH to get the gaskets in the fixed portion of the window situated so that everything goes back together with ease. I learned the hard way, I fought the gasket top and bottom for an hour on the first try. I used a lot of armor all on the 2nd window before I took it apart, it went back together with ease. I used my feeler gauges to get the gaskets seated.

I replaced the plastic track the window sits in, both sides were cracked and broken, also a good time to order the rubber filler that covers the rivets might as well replace it while its out.

Pay attention when you refit the rubber over the rivets, I had a gap on the first side, I had excess on the 2nd side.

A smaller drill bit is a good idea so you dont drill the window frame or the body.

If you are excessively anal this is a good time to have the frames powder coated, replace the gaskets and have them tinted.g

Dont drop the glass or install the window upside down.

for the amount of money this kit costs they should have cut outs for the window lock, its not a big deal. The kit is not made in America WTF?

Sorry for the lack of photos, this are only my observations. The instructions in the kit were very well written even though this is rather intuitive project.
Old March 10th, 2012, 11:50 PM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

I live 12 miles off the pavement, so a trip to town equals about 25 miles of dirt, dust or mud. Our winters tend to last 7 months, so my windows didn't get opened that much. The rattling, dust ingress, ease of easily opening from outside convinced me to make them fixed as you see on the fiber glass removable tops.

Entire fixed units ( MWC4733 ) were close to $500 each + shipping from the UK...ouch. I have a UK micro fiche (ROW) & it shows the parts breakdown for the fixed unit. After studying it, I was able to determine that with some rubber seal components (LR parts), I could re-work the slider frames into fixed windows. Only two components are needed, the seal that the window sits in ( MTC8269 ) and the "filler" for the inside track ( MTC8948 ), all together the seals + freight from the UK, were about $50. Once those were in hand, I took the empty frames to my local Brite Glass shop. They cut the glass & sent it out for hardening & installed it in the frames (using my LR seals) for $130 each. So for about $325 I replaced both my sliders with fixed units.

NO more rattle .... no more dust .... much quieter.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
window