Station Wagon (Hard Top) versus Soft Top - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old March 21st, 2015, 07:08 AM
72 + D1 drivetrain
Get a ROW ST and buy a SW top as well.

Old March 21st, 2015, 07:23 AM
94 Arles ST
Originally Posted by Rufus View Post

Don't get me wrong I dig them both BUT us Arles ST owners are a rare breed and have to represent

My door tops are off from late spring - late fall. I wouldn't want SW doors. To each his own, I suppose.
From another Arles ST owner, I am with Rufus, doorstops off from spring to fall - and soft top windows out too. My 90 is not my daily driver, if I had to drive it all winter I might want a SW.

I do have to say, I am beginning to prefer the look of a SW. However, if I went with a hardtop, it would be a 110.

Old March 21st, 2015, 07:31 AM
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi
Yeah, it is really the ST doors that I miss the most. I toy with the idea of switching out my SW doors with ST doors a lot. I owned a POE before this SW and that was a nice combo. My 110 rolls this way summer-fall.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2117272226.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	430.4 KB
ID:	116562  
Old March 21st, 2015, 08:46 AM
Dave Lucas
I have owned all kinds and I prefer the SW for my current situation. However if I were to live in San Diego or somewhere warm where my commute was short I would want the ST.

It really depends on where you live and what you want / expect out of it.

NAS ST makes for a fun summer vehicle some people can make it work year round dependent where they live and how much they are willing to live with to have the ST. More air / water leaks, less heat retention, more noise and less security. Fun in the sun with the top off

NAS SW good commuter in all conditions and more civilized. You miss out on the fun in the sun top off experience unless you are willing to do a bunch of work to remove the top. You gain the ability to insulate and sound proof it to a higher level reducing noise and adding to heat / A/C retention. Less air / water leaks and you have the security of the hard top

ROW... Been there and done that you can have the best of both worlds but it is a bit of a compromise. The ST does not seal or fit as well as a NAS badger top so you will have more leaks and more flapping and the SW tops if you want to remove them each year you are not going to get the same quality of weather proofing / insulation / noise reduction as a dedicated SW roof setup. A great compromise to have the ability to swap back and forth with a few small downsides Just make sure you plan on putting in a cage.

NAS fiberglass trying to be a SW roof thing.... barf
Old March 21st, 2015, 09:36 AM
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus
I roll with a hard top (gel top) with the door tops off unless it is raining. But I live in Florida and try to stay out of the sun as much as possible plus it always seems like it's a 50% chance of rain so as soon as you take the top off it rains.
You can't polish a turd but you can roll it in glitter - ad for Freelander.
Old March 21st, 2015, 09:51 AM
Abraham Bell
1985 Defender 110 Tithonus
D-90 Source Vendor
For me I have always loved the looks of 110 2 door soft top with the sides rolled up. The Tithonus soft top I have isn't that bad for leaks or flapping. I have made small improvements and it has helped. I rarely take the door tops off as it cuts down on noise. To each his own.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

hard top, soft top, top