Startup lifter/rocker tapping/clacking, oil light...what's the norm? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 13th, 2010, 02:38 PM
specops1526
Brian
Beluga '97 90

Question Startup lifter/rocker tapping/clacking, oil light...what's the norm?

So, when I start up the 90 after it's been sitting for some time (1-2 weeks) I hear tapping/clacking coming from the engine. I suspect it to be the lifters or rocker arms. It usually only lasts for a minute or two, maybe three...I'm pretty sure I've read that this is common on Rover V8s but wanted to see if it really was the norm?

My oil light is the last to extinguish when I start it up and it usually goes out after 2-3 seconds from startup. Is that normal or should it go out with all the other lights?

Many years ago, the oil pickup tube came loose which triggered the oil light to stay on but that was fixed and I haven't seen it come on except at startup. I'm about the change the dino oil to Mobil 1 0w-40 since it's been a while since the oil was changed although less than 3K miles (don't ask how long!). Truck is a '97 with 43K miles on it.

Anything else I can do to prevent the tapping besides drive the truck more?

I'd like to check the pickup tube and screen to make sure they are clean. Maybe put some seafoam in the oil before I change it?

-->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Beluga 97 D-90
Chawton 04 DII SE
Tangiers 04 DII G4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 13th, 2010, 04:34 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
when my trucks sit for weeks it will make a lot of noise at startup no big deal. Just use good oil seafoam wont help.
Old March 14th, 2010, 02:23 PM
specops1526
Brian
Beluga '97 90

Hmmm...Ok, I'll see how it runs with the Mobil 1.

-->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Beluga 97 D-90
Chawton 04 DII SE
Tangiers 04 DII G4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 14th, 2010, 02:25 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Could also be a bad backflow valve in the filter, has it always been like that or only started recently?

My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old March 14th, 2010, 02:26 PM
specops1526
Brian
Beluga '97 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans View Post
Could also be a bad backflow valve in the filter, has it always been like that or only started recently?
It's been like that for a while. I'll see what happens after a fresh oil change. It just seems like the noise isn't something that could be good for the engine.

-->
Beluga 97 D-90
Chawton 04 DII SE
Tangiers 04 DII G4
Old March 14th, 2010, 09:00 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
This is normal for these engines afaik, but yours sounds like it takes a little too long before going away. The longer you hear it, the longer something isn't getting lubricated. They really like being driven more regularly.
Old March 14th, 2010, 09:14 PM
specops1526
Brian
Beluga '97 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin View Post
This is normal for these engines afaik, but yours sounds like it takes a little too long before going away. The longer you hear it, the longer something isn't getting lubricated. They really like being driven more regularly.
i'll have to check the amount of time before it goes away. It seems like a minute or two as far as I can remember.

------ Follow up post added March 14th, 2010 07:32 PM ------

Well, just started truck up and it doesn't really seem to be present anymore, maybe faintly for a few seconds and the light goes off fairly quickly. Oil was dirty though so I definitely need it and the filter changed ASAP.

I started up a '94 too and the oil light doesn't even come on before turning it over. Is is supposed to?

-->
Beluga 97 D-90
Chawton 04 DII SE
Tangiers 04 DII G4
Old March 15th, 2010, 08:19 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Remember it's due to sitting for a while, so you shouldn't get it if it has run recently. But after a week or two it should be a couple of seconds max imo. But I'm no expert. About the only advice I can give is 1) run it more often, 2) try an oil that might provide better top end lubrication for longer periods after sitting (i think this means thicker but not sure) 3) don't sweat it unless it manifests itself in other ways.

I think the oil light should come on as part of the startup sequence, but don't recall for sure.
Old March 15th, 2010, 03:05 PM
specops1526
Brian
Beluga '97 90

Well, I'm going to drop in some Mobil 1 0w-40 and see how that works out. I may even try Rotella 15w-40. I've heard that's good for Rover engines but whether or not I can find it will be a different story...

-->
Beluga 97 D-90
Chawton 04 DII SE
Tangiers 04 DII G4
Old March 15th, 2010, 03:25 PM
wcampbel@nas.edu
Bill Campbell
1994 D-90 ST

You may also want to try Slick 50 or one of the other engine flushes and then go with Mobile 1 at the next change. I have used Mobile 1 for the whole life of the vehicle (well since 1997 when I got it) and the only time I have heard such a noise is after an oil change and even then it only lasts a few seconds.
Old March 15th, 2010, 03:48 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
I have been using the Rotella and I have been happy with it.
Old March 15th, 2010, 05:07 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

I'm another happy rotella fan here as well, but when I put in a new block in a couple years I'll probably put in an amsoil bypass system and run their oil as well.

-Hans

My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old March 15th, 2010, 05:32 PM
specops1526
Brian
Beluga '97 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcampbel@nas.edu View Post
You may also want to try Slick 50 or one of the other engine flushes and then go with Mobile 1 at the next change. I have used Mobile 1 for the whole life of the vehicle (well since 1997 when I got it) and the only time I have heard such a noise is after an oil change and even then it only lasts a few seconds.
Now you've got me thinking about how long it really lasts...I can't remember and am not going to try and reproduce it...oh well, I'm sure I just need a fresh oil change and I'll be fine.

-->
Beluga 97 D-90
Chawton 04 DII SE
Tangiers 04 DII G4
Old March 15th, 2010, 07:57 PM
GYM
Gary
97 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcampbel@nas.edu View Post
What's the longest you have ever let it sit between starts?
Old March 15th, 2010, 08:06 PM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

Has anyone fitted an accumulator to make sure that there's oil pressure immediately on startup?

------ Follow up post added March 15th, 2010 08:10 PM ------

Oh, the reason I'm considering an accumulator is for the turbo mostly, but it would also help under these circumstances. With the turbo the stock one is entirely oil lubricated so if the bushings are dry on startup it's really not good.

- Parts & Accessories Imported Weekly

- Like us on Facebook for a discount on parts!

- Handmade Soap ideal for Mechanics!
Old March 15th, 2010, 08:11 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
And helps when running upside down
Old March 15th, 2010, 08:27 PM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

I hope not to have to test that theory. , well at least not with the 110.

- Parts & Accessories Imported Weekly

- Like us on Facebook for a discount on parts!

- Handmade Soap ideal for Mechanics!
Old March 16th, 2010, 12:58 PM
specops1526
Brian
Beluga '97 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by GYM View Post
What's the longest you have ever let it sit between starts?
For me, typically 2 weeks but sometimes longer...I'm trying to be good about it and start it every week now.

-->
Beluga 97 D-90
Chawton 04 DII SE
Tangiers 04 DII G4

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac, ht, start