starts fine unless ignition switch left on.... - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 8th, 2010, 01:06 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

starts fine unless ignition switch left on....

If I turn my key and hear the fuel pump go on then continue turning the key, the truck starts great. If I turn the key and hear the pump and then wait for a couple minutes like if I just have the stereo on and then turn the key, the truck won't start. Like it's flooded. It will turn over and over. Thought it might be a flood condition like the injectors are being held open or something of the like. Anyone run into this one?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 8th, 2010, 02:14 AM
D90user
steve
109/110 ambulance-55 series I

What happens if you get it not to start, then take the key all the way out, put it back in, and try to start it?

I would really make sure the switch is not doing funny things before you dig too deep.
I've had an ignition switch do weird things before... nothing like this... but weird
Old June 8th, 2010, 09:56 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

Yeah, I hear you about the ignition switch (which I replaced a couple years ago), but I have ruled that out. It only happens when I have it on and lasts (regardless of if I take it out or not) until I crank the engine a couple times as if it is clearing a flooded condition. I have voltage at the coil when trying to turn it over so I know the ignition switch is functioning.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 8th, 2010, 11:38 AM
D90user
steve
109/110 ambulance-55 series I

That sucks... would have been easy.
I have little to add, but can you hear the injectors squirting? does it smell like fuel?

When I had a 3.9 I had a bad ECU and it would act like it was running when off. It would dump gas into the cylinders. You could hear them all squirting.

good luck
Old June 8th, 2010, 04:26 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

I am using a 4.6 chip from Pendy--I may swap back to my 4.2 chip just to rule that out (or swap in one of my spare ecu's which is easier) and start ruling stuff out. Just didn't know if anyone else had this situation. It happens 100% of the time. Turn key then start=O.K. Turn key, wait 2 minutes=no start till it turns over several times.
Old June 8th, 2010, 04:43 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Quote:
Originally Posted by D90user View Post
That sucks... would have been easy.
I have little to add, but can you hear the injectors squirting? does it smell like fuel?

When I had a 3.9 I had a bad ECU and it would act like it was running when off. It would dump gas into the cylinders. You could hear them all squirting.

good luck

I had that too.
Old June 9th, 2010, 08:54 PM
Hammertime
Dana Hammersley
1997 Arles Blue #162

Mine will do the same thing. If I leave the key in the on postion, listening to radio or etc. for more than a couple of minute it will act the same. starts but runs a little rough. if I gas it and get the rpms up it clears out. I also think it floods out for some reason.
Old June 10th, 2010, 01:14 AM
ipgregory
Ian Gregory
'97 D90 ST #1008

Registry
Just a couple of ideas to throw in the mix if you rule out the ECU. For each one, turn the ignition on and let the fuel pump run until it stops. Clamp the line then remove the fuel pump relay or fuse. Leave it for as long as it would normaly fail to start, then try and start it.

1. Clamp the Fuel Return line. If it fires suspect the Fuel Pressure Regulator on the end of the Fuel Rail.
2. Clamp the Fuel Supply Line. If it Fires suspect the Fuel Pump or a leak in the fuel line somewhere between the fuel rail and the pump.
3. If neither makes any difference, suspect leaky injector(s) or leaks around the tops of the injectors where they go into the rail or a leak in the rail itself.

If it fires OK with 1 or 2 then it will only run a second or so until it uses up the fuel in the rail but you should be able to tell if its trying to start normaly. Use a pair of brake line clamps or a pair of vice grips with something over the jaws to protect the fuel lines as a clamp. You can also do it with a fuel pressure gauge by watching the fuel pressure in the rail if you have or can borrow one. I doubt its a leak as you most likely would have seen or smelt it by now, but you never know.

HTH

Ian

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
start, switch